PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried a gravity feed set-up for circulation?

MitchM
11-18-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm setting up a couple of tanks, one upstairs, one down plus a sump and I'm thinking of using the outflow from the upstairs tank to provide circulation for the downstairs tank before the water goes to the sump which will contain the skimmer/heaters/circulation pumps.
Has anybody else tried this? Would it be too much pressure?
The upstairs tank will have to have a closed loop for it's circulation, and I'm going to have to provide some turnover with a head pressure of probably 12 - 14 feet.

Thanks,
Mitch

Delphinus
11-18-2004, 03:02 PM
I think using the upstairs tank's effluent as the feed for the downstairs tank does make sense.

The only thing that I think you'd have to worry about, in your plan, is the splashing caused by a 12' drop of water (or whatever it is). It won't really be a "slug" of water in that pipe, it's a mixture of water and air and so even if the splash could be minimized there will be a lot of bubbles to contend with.

The one thing that I felt was missing, when I tried Borneman surges, was that I didn't have enough height to work with to get the "crash" of water I was really hoping for. Maybe in your case you'd actually have some "wiggle room" to play around with a setup like that. The splashing from the water dropping could be contained within the surge tanks, and the tank itself would be fed, not by a continuous stream, but from a "splashing wave over here" and a "splashing wave over there" and so on.

Let me know if you'd like any help :biggrin: I'd love to play with that kind of setup.

PS. Whatever did you do to get permission to get a tank upstairs? You're gonna have to coach me on that one. :lol:

Chin_Lee
11-18-2004, 05:48 PM
That would be great if you can set it up but like stated, you will get a lot of bubbbles if you use a durso or open pipe in your overflow.
BUT................ I think if you use the Herbie method where the flow down is restricted to point that it creates an equal input and output from the overflow, you may be able to achieve this without the bubble problems.
Check out the following links and maybe get in touch with CHAD who posted a pic in the second link.
Good luck
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11389&highlight=herbie
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10191&highlight=herbie

Delphinus
11-18-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm rather curious as the long-term effects of those. Specifically if you ever have to make minor adjustments. Like if your sump return pump gets a slight clog or whatever (in the case you have a strainer on the intake or something like that.) The theory seems sound, however. Have definitely seen some setups use that method, I had totally forgotten about it though. Thanks for the reminder ... I have to look into this some more myself. :cool:

(I still think using surge devices would be "way cooler" though :lol: )

Tarolisol
11-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Im not sure if this was what dalphinus was saying but, heres what i tihnk. How about the upstairs tank overflow runsinto another holding tank somewhere above your basment tank. And in that holding tank there is a float valve light in a toilet tank so when the upstaris overflow fill the middle holding tank to a certain point it opens the valve and lets the water surge into the basment tank.

MitchM
11-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Oh yeah...bubbles... :confused: In my tanks at home I'm using the plastic bag baffle set-up, and it works like a charm. However, this tank set-up is for the office (so no special permission required, Tony :wink:), so it's got to be attractive and quiet.
I've always wanted a surge tank, but the upstairs tank will be around 300 gallons, and to get a 10X turnover, I would have to have a 50g tank midway filling/emptying every 10 minutes, plus allow for enough empty space in the lower tank to handle the 50 gallon surge.
Maybe the Herbie set-up with a safety overflow as well as a smaller surge would work?
Any suggestions on pipe sizing? I would like to have as few as possible.
I've got to have this figured out by the end of the month because I'm re-doing the basement office then.
Thanks guys!

Mitch

..and thanks for the offer Tony. I'll give you a call.

Chin_Lee
11-19-2004, 03:40 AM
if you have a 300g and flow is 10x, then you are looking at 3000gph turnover. you better have at least 1.5" x2 if not 2"x2. But maybe somebody else have different experience but thats my guestimate.
cwlee