PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea No3 Po4

tang daddy
12-01-2016, 04:28 PM
A few members I know have mentioned using this product with decent results, I am wondering if anyone else has been using this and how much they are dosing on a daily basis.

1) What was the measurement of po and no before dosing?

2) did you start off with a small dose and ramp up?

3) any ill effects to the sps when dosing this?

4) does the skimmer overflow or skim more after dosing?

5) how long have you been using it?

Animal-Chin
12-01-2016, 04:41 PM
1) What was the measurement of po and no before dosing?

My PO was really low but my nitrate was around 80.

2) did you start off with a small dose and ramp up?

Yes, I followed the recomended ramp up schedule.

3) any ill effects to the sps when dosing this?

Yes, I burnt the tips on a bunch of acro as my alk was around 10. I also had RTN on a huge colony of birdsnest, not sure if this was because of the dosing but it happened shorty after I started.

4) does the skimmer overflow or skim more after dosing?

yes, I went from emptying my cup every 5 days to having to do it every 2. Super black gunk started skimming out on day 2.

5) how long have you been using it?

I used 2 bottles worth and didn't like the results. My nitrate dropped but stopped at 20 and I wasn't willing to put more than the max recommended dosage so I stopped. I switched to biopellets and like them WAY more. My nitrate is at 5 most of the time and I don't have to dose daily.

kengeroo
12-01-2016, 07:27 PM
nitrates are 1,, pho,, .03

need to keep alk below 8.3 or sps tips will burn,,
just follow the instructions... need to test and adjust weekly... don't let nitrates get to 0...

skimmer seems a little bit foamier...

again,, just follow the instructions..

I dose mine over the day,,, I let my apex figure it out,, (e.g. dosing 3ml,, it'll do 14 doses at .2ml throughout the day,,, really slick)...

tang daddy
12-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, I've done bp before but the imbalance that causes the red slime I can't accept. I have yet to still test my nitrates, waiting for the test kits....⏲

As for po4 I have a reading of .09 and cut back the feeding from 5x per day to 2 as fish are a lot fatter than when I added them.

I also added a bio brick so hopefully it starts to work any day now.

Jess did any of your sps have burnt tips?

Tankboy
12-02-2016, 06:06 PM
I think my situation is a good example of how this product works.

Due to my own mistakes and having a test kit that was no good....I discovered that my nitrates were at 100+ppm on the reef tank and 60-80ppm on the seahorse tank. We have been dosing both tanks as per the instructions and I am happy to say that my nitrates as of yesterday are at close to zero and phosphates are still too high at .10 on the reef tank and we are no longer dosing the seahorse tank as we have reached near zero nitrates and .05 phosphates.
This has taken a long time! We are into month 3 of dosing with NOPOX. You have to follow the instructions and be patient. My numbers took forever to move but once they did, they fell quite rapidly.

I adjusted the skimmer to skim a very wet tea and pretty much every day we had foam coming out of the vent holes. Not overflowing, but building mini snowmen of foam, on the lid if the collection cup. Emptied the skimmer every second day or daily as needed.

There was no ill effects to my SPS, but sitting in such high nitrates, the corals were not happy to begin with! They are growing more rapidly now, much better polyp extension and show better color. I suffered no losses throughout this high nitrate spike or during the dosing process.
I am very happy with the results of this product.

tang daddy
12-02-2016, 06:42 PM
Nice so I received a bunch of stuff from my order and tested my nitrate yesterday, it read 0 could be 2 or 4 or 5 who knows but there was no tint whatsoever in the salifert test kit. They should have a better more exact way of testing nitrates as a colour chart with a wide range of numbers definitely leave you guessing. So not sure but for the time being I will go with somewhere in the range of 0-5ppm or undetectable nitrates. I will have to do another test on the phosphates as of a couple of days ago it read .082.

Myka
12-02-2016, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, I've done bp before but the imbalance that causes the red slime I can't accept. I have yet to still test my nitrates, waiting for the test kits....⏲

IME, if you're getting red cyano from biopellets you probably still have high nutrients, but you're using too many biopellets for the volume of water (too aggressive). If you're getting green cyano you may have hit zero on either PO4 or NO3, and if you remove some pellets it can balance out again. Either way, cyano means remove some pellets IME. FWIW, I use about 1 mL biopellets per gallon of water (include the entire system volume).

Potatohead
12-02-2016, 10:29 PM
I started using it about 7 or 8 weeks ago. My nitrate previously was about 10, phosphate about .05. I had to clean the glass on my tank every 3 - 4 days or so. Since starting nopox (only dosing 2/3 dose) my nitrate is down at 3, po4 at .02 - .03 and I can literally go two weeks without cleaning my glass. The stuff rocks.