PDA

View Full Version : Where do you dose?

Tankboy
11-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Curious where everyone is dosing their 2 part solutions. Which chamber of the sump?
Skimmer Chamber?
Return Chamber?
Unused refugium chamber?

Reason I ask is I have a sump with a refugium. I currently dose into the refugium chamber as the instructions for my Vetex 180I say not do dose into the chamber the skimmer is installed in. So I dose into the refugium which houses nothing other than things that I am moving out of the display...but I am not happy with the way it is set up. Can I dose directly into the return chamber? I currently dose 55ml Calcium a day and 40ml Alk at night.

Myka
11-28-2016, 04:04 PM
The dosing hoses on my tank all go into the first chamber before the filter pad.

The reason it says not to go into the skimmer chamber is because it can affect the foam head of the skimmer, and also it can cause calcium carbonate build up on the skimmer impeller. For this latter reason you should not dose into the return chamber either.

Animal-Chin
11-28-2016, 04:08 PM
I dose my alk into the return chamber and the calcium into the fuge chamber. I have them on timers so they each turn on once every 60 mintues but 30 minutes apart from each other so the alk and cal don't get dosed together. I like to separate the 2 to ensure I don't get rapid calcification in any of my pumps, this is also why I don't dose into the skimmer chamber and alwasy dose after the skimmer chamber.

When i first set up my dosing system I had the calcium and alk dosing at the same time. Within a few weeks (if I recall correctly) I had pretty much destroyed all my pumps with moving parts and they were totally calcified. By spreading the dosing out this has never happened again.

Just my experience.

Reef-Geek
11-28-2016, 08:58 PM
I put my close to the skimmer output so there will be some water movement.

Tyfighter
11-29-2016, 06:23 AM
I dose in to the return compartment, if I had an unused Refugium section that's probably where I would instead. I wouldn't dose in the skimmer section because like you said it will screw with the skimmer and I would keep it away from the Refugium since anything sensitive in there may really not like high concentrations of alk or calcium.

shiftline
11-29-2016, 02:45 PM
I dose to to the return chamber of the sump as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk