PDA

View Full Version : I need an ID on a pesky algae that I have been fighting with

ogopogo
11-27-2016, 11:23 PM
I have this algae in my tank I remove it, I starve it, and the bloody thing keeps coming back. I've attached some pictures.... I hope they show up!
http://m.imgur.com/a/Qk9mY

Coasting
11-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Looks like Bryopsis algae perhaps

ogopogo
11-27-2016, 11:30 PM
I was thinking it was, I hope it is not. Does anyone have some good war tips on how to take care of it, if it is bryopsis? Th only reason I didn't jump to it being bryopsis was because it has more of a pom pom shape to it over a flat fern look

Myka
11-28-2016, 12:45 AM
That's not any Bryopsis that I'm familiar with. Urchins are usually really good for random algae.

ogopogo
11-28-2016, 01:28 AM
I have one urchin already. My tank stocking is rather low currently. 75 total gallon (60 display 15 total water in sump) 2 watchmen gobies, 1 flasher wrasse, 1 dotty back, and numerous snails and hermit crabs. With one urchin too. Would another urchin be to much?

Craigdillman
11-28-2016, 06:58 AM
How much of it do you have? Have you tired Manuel removal of all the stuff you can get /scrape off and then trying to let the CUC get it from there

Myka
11-28-2016, 12:20 PM
I have one urchin already. My tank stocking is rather low currently. 75 total gallon (60 display 15 total water in sump) 2 watchmen gobies, 1 flasher wrasse, 1 dotty back, and numerous snails and hermit crabs. With one urchin too. Would another urchin be to much?
Which type of Urchin do you have? Long Spines are the best as far as varieties of algae go, but would get too big for your tank and you'd need to find a home for him at some point. Two urchins in your tank is a lot too. Since your current Urchin won't touch it, I have less faith that a Long Spine would, but maybe.

Another option would be Emerald Crabs. They eat a lot of algae. Foxface Rabbit fish too, though you'd have to re-home this guy too.

Otherwise, there are certainly a lot of algae that are unpalatable to fish and clean up crew.

ogopogo
11-28-2016, 02:44 PM
I have tried manual removal, even to the point I have pulled out bad rocks, it does help, and a lot, but the root system on this stuff is everywhere so I don't seem to have luck getting it all.
As for urchin, I have a pincushion. I'm not saying he doesn't touch the algae, but he doesn't eat it fast enough. I do also have 2 emerald crabs in the tank I forgot to mention.
Thanks again for all the help folks!!

Myka
11-28-2016, 04:08 PM
In that case I would try either a long spine urchin temporarily or a Foxface rabbitfish temporarily if you can find a small one. Either option will probably be happy in your tank for 6 months.

ogopogo
11-28-2016, 05:15 PM
thank you for all the info! Next time I am in winnipeg I will see if they have either of those and I will one of them! For the time being I will just keep up with manual removal. My LFS is pretty weak with there salt selection, If they ever have any at all.

tang daddy
11-28-2016, 06:08 PM
I say seahare is your best bet, try to get a small one, they cover a lot of space and will erredicate that in hours.

Myka
11-28-2016, 06:28 PM
I say seahare is your best bet, try to get a small one, they cover a lot of space and will erredicate that in hours.
That's not a bad idea. It would need to be re-home much sooner though.