PDA

View Full Version : Popeye male Clown

Jason McK
11-18-2004, 02:17 AM
I noticed today that my Male False Perc has what you might call Popeye only in one eye. It is very extended and cloudy. After consulting Joyce Wilkerson's book "Clownfishes" I have turned here for some Help. Can you believe I cracked a book
It is my understanding that a disease or parasite would effect both eyes. Has anyone run into this and found a cure? Or do you think it was just a fight.
Readings as of 6:30 Nov17
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5
PH 8.2
Temp 79-81
I installed a UV sterilizer last week end

Jason McK
11-18-2004, 05:07 AM
Wendell... any body???

By the way I've had then for over 2 years and they are a mated pair

J

Stretch
11-18-2004, 05:27 AM
My tang had popeye and it was clearly in both eyes, and my tang wasn't acting himself. By the time I bought medication for him, he was looking better. So i held off and cleared up very quickly within 5 days he seems back to himself. I really didn't do anything, It seemed to go away as fast as it appeared.

EmilyB
11-18-2004, 06:09 AM
Popeye in one eye can be injury related, or a gas exchange imbalance. Don't make me look that up... :razz:

Rikko
11-18-2004, 07:54 AM
A simple stress response is also possible. We received 3 A. clarkii a couple months back and one had a definite popeye-looking response the morning after receiving. We thought he'd end up being an impossible sell, but after 10 days or so the eye was completely normal again.

richtg
11-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Danny Z had a clown with popeye and gave it to me to put in my Quarantine tank. It is just a 20 gal in a low traffic area with low lighting and slowly brought the salinity slightly lower than normal (30ppt) to ease it's ion regulation. It dissapeared after about a week and a half. I think it's stress related. Rich.

Jason McK
11-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks Every one I will keep an eye on him :)

J

Jason McK
11-20-2004, 07:44 PM
just a quick update.

he seems to be healing well. It's hard to tell anything was wrong with his eye now

J

Thanks again

Coldwater
11-21-2004, 06:04 AM
I bought a Clown a while ago and two days after it got home it had popeye. Didnt think much of it. It completely healed after about ten days. I used no medication.

Matt