PDA

View Full Version : lighting and kids

crusty1
11-26-2016, 03:29 AM
So I have been out of the aquariums for 6 years and considering to start up a tank again. One thing I was thinking about is the bright lights and the kids being exposed with their eyes. Is there any concern? I was planning on setting up an old Red Sea Max I have, upgrade the light with an led pendant, and put it in the kitchen near a play area of theirs.

Moogled
11-26-2016, 04:25 AM
I only have an 18w LED fixture and I wouldn't want to look directly at it; couldn't imagine how bright a Kessil pendant would be (40w?)

If your kids know not to stare at the sun, it shouldn't be a problem for them. How old are they?

WarDog
11-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Somebody told me about 40 years ago that looking at the TV was damaging. So yeah.

acepumping
11-26-2016, 05:02 AM
Somebody told me about 40 years ago that looking at the TV was damaging. So yeah.

I guess they were right on the TV damaging you 😂😂

Ryanerickson
11-26-2016, 05:10 AM
I read somewhere too bright of lights will cause constipation in children under 6

acepumping
11-26-2016, 05:12 AM
I read somewhere too bright of lights will cause constipation in children under 6

LMFAO!!! dries them right out if you stare too long!!!

Dearth
11-26-2016, 07:22 AM
No the light won't hurt your kids eyes might annoy them if the light reflects at a certain angle but it definitely won't hurt their eyes

Remember when your parents told you not to read in the dark you'll go blind otherwise....just an old wives tale to get kids to listen all it does is strain the eyes and make them tired hell I still read in near darkness 40 years on

corallivore
11-26-2016, 05:20 PM
My only references are nephews and nieces.

Do kids generally just stare at painfully bright lights?

crusty1
11-26-2016, 06:37 PM
I guess that the difference between me and the kids is that I look down from above the light to look into the tank, and the kids look up into the tank and the light. I ran a 250w mh on the tank before, and that would be bright. Plus the uv light. Kind of like staring into the tv, but I thought it would be 100 times worst.
Surprised no one else would worry about it. I guess if it doesn't hurt the fish eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk