PDA

View Full Version : Sand or bare bottom?

brittanyk
11-24-2016, 05:47 PM
I am just in the process of downsizing. Ive gone from a 90 gal to a 50. I prefer the size and plan to keep the tank pretty simple. Ive had a reef tank for 15 years, and worked at a few LFS when I was younger, BUT I need some outside advice!

I have a pair of black ice clowns that will go in it, I plan on having some coral - zoas, lps... perhaps one day sps. I would love a jawfish one day, as its my fave fish.. BUT that means sand... so I am a bit lost lol.

I am in a toss up between keeping it bare bottom, or adding sand. Ive always had sand, but now I am not sure. I prefer the idea of having it as clean as possible.... but what am I losing?

Bare bottom - tell me your thoughts ...
sand bed - tell me your thoughts, if and how often do you clean it?

Ryanerickson
11-24-2016, 06:03 PM
My new tank is bare bottom first time I have gone this route but I'm pretty happy easy to clean no sand to make a mess.you could always try it and if you don't like add it later.

Moogled
11-24-2016, 06:45 PM
I had a barebottom 33 gallon when I first started.

Now I keep a 1" bed in my pico 5g and I much prefer the look.

Only thing is that I really don't like vacuuming sand lol.

tang daddy
11-24-2016, 10:26 PM
If you're keeping a jawfish you could put a square container for the fish to live in, I really like the BB look with the acception of covering the glass with a black or white piece of abs or acrylic incase a rock decides to fall one day.

I think we all agree on the pros for barebottom is easy detritous and waste removal. Esthetically it doesn't look as real as sand or rubble but easier to maintain. I do 5g WC every 3 days and remove a ton of detritous that would otherwise be sitting in the sand. No frags get buried, no sand storms, easy to clean and maintain. About 10 mins every 3 days is good for me. Mind you I feed 5x a day so gotta keep it clean.

e46er
11-25-2016, 12:06 AM
i tried it a few years back in my 120
its better in every aspect except aesthetics, which after probably 3-4 months i put in a couple bags of white sand because I couldn't get past the look.
my current tank has black sand which I really like. not sure if I actually like it better than the white sand but after 10 Years of white sand its a nice change.

Id say start without it and its easy to add later if you don't like it.

shrimp
11-25-2016, 12:24 AM
If you go with sand, you will never be able to keep snails alive for long.

SpongeAl
11-25-2016, 01:23 AM
I say sand, it just looks better IMO.

I put just enough in to cover the bottom at the front, tapered up to about 1" or so at the back.

Its mostly cosmetic, but there definitely is bristle worms etc in 1" of sand.

All I have to to is give a a blast with the baster once in a while before a water change.

By all means though, if it was to accommodate a favorite fish, then I guess go bare bottom if you have to, otherwise a 1/2" or so of seafloor special is not going to cause really any extra work.

The sand will mask the detritus temporarily from site, as well as give habitat to fauna that might help clean up detritus a bit between water changes, at the very least some of them may provide a snack for an inhabitant.

AquaAddict
11-25-2016, 03:20 AM
What does the sand do to the snails?

AquaAddict

shrimp
11-25-2016, 03:33 AM
Snails will not be able to flip themselves back up,properly with their shell up.

hondas3000
11-25-2016, 12:02 PM
Snails will not be able to flip themselves back up,properly with their shell up.

lol I seen that a lot in my tank and I have to help push it back.

MitchM
11-25-2016, 12:55 PM
It's much easier to control the nutrients that feed nusiance algae in a bare bottom tank.
It's that simple, really.

GQsmooth
11-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Sand always, bare bottom looks cheap and unnatural

intarsiabox
11-26-2016, 02:01 AM
I have sand and no algae, I only clean the glass once a week as well on water change day. I tried a bare bottom tank for a year and didn't like the look of it and if you're unhappy with the way your tank looks why have it? In the end either way can work with the same results but you have to be happy with it. I personally like a sand bed for the eco system it provides, the animals I keep in it and the natural look.

smokinreefer
11-26-2016, 02:30 AM
+1

It just depends on what you like!

I like a sand bed for the aesthetics, trying to mimic the ocean floor. Plus it creates an environment for a diverse amount of microfauna. As well as a home for wrasses & jawfish.

But my current tank is bare, and so will my next tank. Simply for maintenance.
I can see where detritus has accumulated and I can get it out.

I can always add sand easily if I get tired of the bare bottom.

Dearth
11-26-2016, 07:17 AM
Both have their pluses and minuses

I live by this rule though "Its your tank it's your choice"

My two cents worth though like others have stated start with a BB and if it's not working for you add sand at a later date

brittanyk
11-27-2016, 03:03 AM
thanks for the input everyone. Ive decided to go bare right now, to give it a try. Like everyone mentioned, I can add sand later if desired...