PDA

View Full Version : Trip to edmonton and frags.

Tarolisol
11-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Im headin up to edmonton on saturday and wondering where i should go for some nice SPS corals also if there is anyone who wants to sell some frags. :mrgreen:

Edmonton Eskimo
11-18-2004, 12:26 AM
I think the best place in town for corals is aquarium illusions. They have beautiful corals and some very reasonably priced frags. I just bought an awesome frogspawn frag for 34.99 and it looks great.

Quinn
11-18-2004, 02:04 AM
I dunno about the price thing... they have nice stuff but I always considered it extremely expensive. Agreed though, the best in Edmonton that I've been to.

Edmonton Eskimo
11-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Ya some things are expensive but compared to what? Big als is cheap on some things but overpriced on most corals and they don't look that great. Also at aquarium illusions they farm a lot of corals. Looking at their display and how healthy and vibrant they are I have no problem paying a little more. Really where else is there for corals in Edmonton?

Quinn
11-18-2004, 04:08 AM
Compared to other Canadian retailers. But yes if I were bent on buying corals from a retailer in Edmonton, AI would be the only place I'd check.

Stretch
11-18-2004, 05:34 AM
I dunno about the price thing... they have nice stuff but I always considered it extremely expensive. Agreed though, the best in Edmonton that I've been to.

AI use to be fairly good on prices. Recent It seems they have jacked up prices, Considering they should be going down. I bought my old frogspawn 2 heads at the time which were fairly large for 25 bucks.

I really haven't bought most livestock from them (former livestock) most from other reefers.

Since james has left. theirs no one to really bargain with.

And paying 34 bucks or whatever for a frag is nuts.

The SPS they have been getting lately is stuff I've seen before or not all that impressive and over priced. And it seems they are gettig less SPS nowadays.

Tarolisol
11-18-2004, 06:37 AM
So out of the store AI is the one to check on even though it may be over priced and not carry that many immpresive corals. :lol: What about frags anyone selling any SPS frags they want to get rid of.

Quinn
11-18-2004, 06:50 AM
Oh, AI has nice enough stuff, it's just, can you afford $35 for a 2" frag.

sleeman
11-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Go to the edmonton meet page. I have a bunch of pictures there. Digitata and Monti Cap. 10 bucks a frag.

Cheers,

Al

Tarolisol
11-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Awsome sleeman ill checks it out.

mr_alberta
11-18-2004, 04:11 PM
I think that getting very colorful SPS frags in Edmonton is quite difficult since it seems like most of the local reefers with very established tanks are rarely or aren't on the board at all.

I too feel that AI has raised its prices a bit on frags and whatnot. I think they want almost $30 for 2 heads of Candycane. That to me, is a little spendy. I do, however, think that it is great that they sell frags rather than only mother colonies.

Talking to Ron at AI, they say that come winter, they will start to bring in much more colorful Acros and whatnot as people start to tinker more with their tanks.

DukeB
11-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Kind of OT but...
I have always found Ron very easy to deal with, and he's always been able to give me a bit of a break on corals when I ask.
As far as frags, last time I was in, they were setting up a 180 gal bowfront tank, strictly to be used for propogated corals. Looks promising.

muck
11-18-2004, 05:50 PM
As far as frags, last time I was in, they were setting up a 180 gal bowfront tank, strictly to be used for propogated corals. Looks promising.
Is that the old FW Stingray tank?

DukeB
11-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Yes. They had it up for sale for quite a while. I was tempted....

Murminator
11-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Family pet in Sherwood Park has a whole bunch of frags little bigger than AI but the price is to $25-70. Their fish are little cheaper I thought $15 for a clown and $10 cardnals looks like they been there a while check them out.

In NO way gettin anything for this plug :rolleyes:

Tarolisol
11-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Alright so i have two stores to check out, It seems the LFS's have been going doen hill when it comes to corals. Even in calgary you never find nice bright corals. Seems the only way to get them is to order online.

Glampyre
11-23-2004, 06:27 AM
AI use to be fairly good on prices. Recent It seems they have jacked up prices, Considering they should be going down. I bought my old frogspawn 2 heads at the time which were fairly large for 25 bucks.

I don't think everyone is looking at the global scale of things. The number of CITES permits issued for coral collection, as well as the availability of high quality, brilliantly coloured corals is decreasing every year. The impact we make as hobbiests is minimal to global reef decline, but we are among the first this end of the globe to see it. I encourage everyone to visit the Terangi website, www.terangi.or.id to see some of the efforts that are being made for sustainable collection.

As for price increases, they are done out of necessity. The cost of operating a farm, importing corals, etc goes up every year. As more people start fragging and the availability of cultured corals increases, they will come back down. In the mean time, all you have to do is ask. If you don't think the price listed on an individual frag is fair, then ask the salesperson for a better one. Sometimes we'll say no, sometimes yes, but you won't know if you don't ask. We are hobbiests too, so we understand where everyone is coming from.