PDA

View Full Version : Super quiet skimmer and return pump

1bigfish
11-15-2016, 03:17 AM
Hello everyone,
Looking for all your feedback on an actual quiet skimmer. I have been looking at nyos quantum 160, rlss r8i, skimmers with dc pumps. Any experience with these skimmers or suggestions for one?
Also looking for a silent return pump. I've looked at red dragon dc pump( dream list) ecotech vectra m1, and waveline dc pumps. Any experience or suggestions for a silent pump.
Thanks!

AquaAddict
11-15-2016, 03:37 AM
I run my system using a Jacod DC9000 for my 150 ds tank,75 refugium and the 40 gal sump is in my half basement (split level house). It has a controller with 10 power levels and it is dead silent. It doesn't turn on suddenly but powers itself up with a slight 'whine'. Cost was US$179.00 with free shipping.

My Vertex Omege 130 is also very quiet and extremely efficient.

AquaAddict

1bigfish
11-15-2016, 03:55 AM
Great! Thanks for the information

Reef Supplies
11-15-2016, 12:49 PM
I run my system using a Jacod DC9000 for my 150 ds tank,75 refugium and the 40 gal sump is in my half basement (split level house). It has a controller with 10 power levels and it is dead silent. It doesn't turn on suddenly but powers itself up with a slight 'whine'. Cost was US$179.00 with free shipping.

My Vertex Omege 130 is also very quiet and extremely efficient.

AquaAddict

Great advise BUT, You paid $180 US...so over $240 for a $135 pump? You should shop in Canada :-(

Myka
11-15-2016, 01:14 PM
DC pumps are definitely quiet. For AC pumps, Eheim are on par with DC. I have an Eheim Compact 3000 for a return on my own tank, and when I turn it on after a water change I have to look to see if there's flow because I can't hear it kick in. Unfortunately, Eheim aren't very big, so they aren't a good choice for large reefs. In a "silent" setup, the noisiest piece of equipment will always be the skimmer because of the air suction. The best thing you can do is choose a skimmer with a quiet pump (duh), and make sure it has an air intake silencer on it. I have an ATB skimmer which uses an Eheim 1250 or 1260, can't remember. There is a silencer on it, but I find it's quieter in the winter when I have a CO2 scrubber attached to it (I use a TLF canister with 1/2" hosing). If a silencer is noisy, you can often quiet it down by running a larger diameter airline hanging off the silencer since most of the noise is the suction of air through the end of the small airline.

1bigfish
11-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks, that is a good idea to quiet the silencer down

mike31154
11-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Wooden air diffuser skimmer. I put the air pump in the basement & skimmer only needs a small powerhead to move water thru it. Vewy qwuiet!

Myka
11-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Thanks, that is a good idea to quiet the silencer down

I just re-read, and edited above. I meant run a piece of larger hose going into the silencer, not between the silencer and the venturi. I have a 1/2" line attached to the Silencer that is about 2 feet long, and it either goes to the CO2 scrubber in the winter, or in the summer I just tuck it behind the sump. Either way it is quieter than only using the silencer.

duncangweller
11-15-2016, 04:30 PM
^^^ I do the same thing. Works like a charm

vanreefer
11-16-2016, 02:14 AM
RD are super quiet. I use the RD3 as a return and like Myka I have to check if it's running. I also have 2 RD (vertex) pumps on the skimmer... For a huge skimmer (alpha come 300) it also crazy quiet. Worth the $$$$ to keep the wife happy😉

1bigfish
11-16-2016, 03:35 AM
I will look into those pumps...where do you get them from?
And yes I totally agree, happy wife happy life. And silent is happy.

Allpointswest
11-16-2016, 05:14 AM
I have been using a Bubble magus curve 7 for my tank and it is very quiet. I hear my AC Pump and the water moving in the sump over the skimmer I have been very happy with it.

Scythanith
11-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Along with spending big money on the type of pumps you should really do the regular maintenance on the pumps. Taking them out once a year and cleaning off the impellar body as well as the housing can do wonders. If you leave it for too long and then clean it, all of the unique little wear patterns and associated algae or calcium precipitation that may have filled those voids may become misaligned. Then the pump will be even noisier.

I run Abyzz A200 return pumps and a RD3 speedy on my Red Dragon skimmer. All DC pumps and quite quiet.

1bigfish
11-16-2016, 08:17 PM
I would sure like to get a rd3 or abyzz return pump but they are pretty pricy.
That's why I was looking at the ecotech vectra m1.
Is anyone using the ecotech m1 pump?
Or the quantum 160 skimmer?

Scythanith
11-16-2016, 09:10 PM
I have a buddy with the ecotech pump and he's super happy with it. I don't know anyone with the quantum skimmer though.

neeper
11-16-2016, 11:30 PM
I've use the Sicce Syncra 4.0 for my return pump and it's super quiet. I can't hear it at all. Before that I used the Eheim 1262 and it was just as quiet but it had a slightly bigger foot print.

vanreefer
11-17-2016, 01:50 AM
I will look into those pumps...where do you get them from?
And yes I totally agree, happy wife happy life. And silent is happy.

Got from an online vendor in the states...dollar was close to par. Nobody in Canada was carrying RD at the time... Don't know if that's changed. Pm me if u want the name.
Cheers
VR

Tankboy
11-17-2016, 08:35 PM
I run a Vertex 180I skimmer and it is very quiet!

Jakegr
11-17-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm using a Sicce Syncra right now and IMO it's kind of noisy compared to the DC pumps I have used (Reef Octopus DC and a waveline DC). The reef octopus has a subtle high pitched whine, but it is definitely a lot quieter than the Sicce Syncra.

Choosing the smallest possible return pump for your tank is another way to minimize noise.

1bigfish
11-18-2016, 12:15 AM
I have used an eheim 1262 and found it loud, some people say it's quiet. Definitely dc pumps are more quiet. I will look at the Waveline. Thanks

Reef-Geek
11-18-2016, 05:16 PM
My eheim 1262 is loud too, it vibrates a lot probably due to the age.

I am looking for a quiet yet powerful skimmer too, was looking atSkimz Monzter SM203 DC but cannot find a Canadian dealer, any other suggestions for skimmer around $500?

SpongeAl
11-21-2016, 02:13 AM
I too find the Eheim Compacts to be noisier then implied. Vibrates like nobodies business too. (I am using a little one for a phosphate reactor pump.)

My return pump is a little Sicce Syncra, it's pretty quiet, but the noisiest item in my system, again a little surprised at the noise. I am happy though, once I put walls on my stand I probably wont hear it at all, so it is not "loud" by any means.
I can easily recommend a Sicce over a Eheim, at least the smaller pumps, no experience with the big ones.

I have the OCTO 110 SS skimmer. It is an AC motor but this skimmer is for all intents and purposes dead silent. I must bend down and put my head a few feet away before I can hear it.
I'm VERY pleased with it as I was contemplating a DC skimmer but IMO a regular synchronous AC motor is more reliable then a offshore DC motor/controller combo. (Same for return pumps) In my situation a inexpensive DC motor is just unnecessary and an added liability.

I'm not against DC motors and controllers if they are "quality". For me though, in my snack bracket, all the skimmers and return pumps had Jaebao and that ilk in them. I've seen too many threads over the past few years of failed motors etc.