PDA

View Full Version : Prism Pro Bubbles

Jaws
11-17-2004, 03:36 PM
I need to turn my skimmer up so high to get it to skim properly that the amount of bubbles going into the tank is very bad. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Delphinus
11-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I take it you don't have a sump? That will limit the options a little unfortunately because you don't want it to look too ugly.

Emptying the outflow into a chamber that can only overflow into the tank might help, or draining through a sponge of some kind (but you will have to clean the sponge regularly) or maybe just some kind of plastic to break up the flow.

Not sure offhand what else to suggest but I'm sure someone will have a clever idea for you.

Aquattro
11-17-2004, 05:23 PM
I have a clever idea. Get a sump and use that fancy skimmer you bought from OA!!!! You could borrow an overflow and, oh wait, you already did. All you need now is a smaller tank for a sump and, Oh, wait once again, you have a garage full of tanks already!! You could use all the stuff you bought already and eliminate the bubbles for good. ....hehehe.... :lol:

Jaws
11-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks Brad... Why didn't I think of that. I think that's what I will do actually. I just sold a bunch of Live rock yesterday so I have a lot more room in my tank now to put that external overflow in. Would a 20G tank be big enough for a sump for now? Anybody feeling generous enough to come over and help a newbie set up the plumbing? There's a case of beer in it for ya.

Aquattro
11-17-2004, 05:46 PM
I'd try to go bigger than a 20. A 33 maybe, creatures has a stack of used ones, you could maybe haggle them down in price a bit (they want $39 ea)

AJ_77
11-17-2004, 07:35 PM
In the meantime, turn the flow down and the air up on the Prism pro. Works for me...

IslandReefer
11-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Jason I zipstrapped a piece of sponge (1/4 in thick, not too fine of mesh) to the bottom of the media basket (carbon in mine)........decreases flow ,increases the water level in "tower" therefore you can turn the air/flow down a bit....that gave me about 75% reduced bubbles....clean the sponge every week or so. To fix the rest I friction fitted another bit of foam on top of the basket just before the water returns to the tank.....hope this makes sense. If you can't figure it out mine is in the crawl space and is available for a great deal!! :mrgreen: ....OR use the becket and sump...as guru Brad suggested.
FWIW....switching from PP to a Beckett is like upgrading from a Yugo to a Porsche. :cool: