PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank suitable for a BTA?

Richer
11-17-2004, 05:37 AM
Just some background info first:

I have a BB 30 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump. My display tank has been up and running since mid-late July, my rocks were sitting in a holding tank about 2 months piror to being moved to my display tank. So I guess I could say the tank has been up and running for about half a year plus or minus a few weeks. My most recent test done showed that all of my levels (nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia) are zero (or very close to it). All of the corals that I've put in the tank have grown quite a bit. My xenia has multiplied and is in the process of splitting again, my orange montipora cap has grown noticably since I got it late August, my green digitata frag is finally starting to turn green, and all my zoos are starting to spread nicely. I'm just having problems getting a colt frag to attach... but thats a different story.
Filtration consists of a bakpak skimmer, a refugium packed with chaeto and a bunch of liverock/baserock (I am unsure of how much I have in there... I would guess 30+ pounds). Lighting consists of 2 175watt 10000k Ushio MH bulbs and 1 95 watt vho actinic. Flow is provided by a Mag950 plumbed through a SCWD with two OceanMotions Revolutions connected to the output, and two medium sized maxijet powerheads. Cleaning crew consists of two turbo snails... I used to have a couple of ceriths snails as well, but I have since lost track of them. Fish consist of two false perculas and one lawnmower blenny, which have all been in the tank since early/mid September. Water topoff is done with RO water fed through a kalk reactor. I seem to have gotten over most major algae blooms... most of the algae on the walls of my tank have receeded, and coraline is starting to form on my base rock and on the glass.

On to my questions:
Is my tank mature enough for one?
Is the light good enough?
Too much flow? Too little?

I've been reading up on BTAs, and I got some conflicting information... so I just wanted to clarify with some people who've had experience with them.

(Yeesh, that post was a lot longer than I wanted it to be :eek: )

-Richer

EmilyB
11-17-2004, 06:10 AM
All my past research and experience says that anemones really thrive on more nutrient rich water, so imo as long as you feed it directly, you should be fine. :smile:

Delphinus
11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Bah, that's not a long post :lol:

... I think it will be fine to have a BTA in that setup. If you can find a captive split you're set. If you can only find a wild caught specimen then you'll need to watch it, make sure it's eating, etc. Either way though Deb is correct in that they should be fed.

mr_alberta
11-17-2004, 03:28 PM
I didn't think the BTA's really enjoyed the high flow tanks? I thought they were more of a "mellow flow" anenome...

Buccaneer
11-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Well I have a GBTA and a RBTA and the GBTA likes alot of flow and the RBTA seeks quieter water ... if he puts a BTA in that tank depending on the anemone it will move around till it finds a comfortable place to put it's foot down that has the flow pattern it desires :cool:

Delphinus
11-17-2004, 05:05 PM
Generally speaking anemones need flow. It's the type of current that is an issue. The BTA needs a spot to hide the pedal disk (aka "foot") from bright light/high current, thus in a crevasse, or under an overhang, but can from there reach into the current and light. If the flow patterns aren't to it's liking it will likely wander.

I wouldn't really consider BTA's a low flow species though. You can find them in 5 feet of depth at the reef, there's plenty surging wave action at that depth, but you'll find them nestled in brancy (or "holey") rock, etc. where there is plenty of opportunities for self-adjustment.

Buccaneer
11-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I agree that you can find them in shallow water but the flow in the ocean/sea is more of a push/pull effect which is very different from the effect of the powerheads/closed loops that we employ to provide flow which has a more static flow ... Norberto and I were working on a closed loop that would provide a softer flow pattern but move more water than a traditional powerhead/closed loop but we both got too busy with RL and had to shelve it for awhile ... maybe it is time to resurrect that project ? :mrgreen:

Delphinus
11-17-2004, 05:52 PM
I agree that you can find them in shallow water but the flow in the ocean/sea is more of a push/pull effect which is very different from the effect of the powerheads/closed loops that we employ to provide flow which has a more static flow

Yeah, sorry, I should have emphasized the surging flow part of my post more. I did mention that part though:
Generally speaking anemones need flow. It's the type of current that is an issue. [...] You can find them in 5 feet of depth at the reef, there's plenty surging wave action at that depth, [...]

I think a surging and alternating flow is more appropriate for anemones of most types. Just look at our own west coast in fact: look at the where you find the anemones and where you don't. On the rocks on the beach on the exposed ocean side where the rocks are pounded and pounded; whereas in sheltered inlets where you might have some wave action but mostly it's just tidal flow, you'll find a hugely different array of animals inhabiting each zone.

Richer
11-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I do have quite a bit of flow going through my tank, but most of that is in the form of random currents via. my SCWD and Revolutions. There are a few quiet spots in my tank, mostly near the front center portion of my tank... at least thats what the free floating colt frags are telling me :mrgreen:

Now I'm off to find a captive split BTA :smile:

-Richer