PDA

View Full Version : Maxspect Razor r420r

Reefrandybar94
11-10-2016, 02:22 AM
Hello i purchased a maxspect razor r420r and the blue channel doesnt seem to be working. Does anybody else run this light ? Have you had any problems ?

Frogger
11-10-2016, 05:25 AM
No problems with the light what so ever. I have a pair of them for over a year. before that I had their first generation light and they offered me a credit when it ran into problems after 3 years of use.

Take it back to where you purchased it or contact Maxspect directly.

Reefrandybar94
11-10-2016, 01:06 PM
I have contacted maxspect directly, the problem is is that the loght is bought 2nd hand. I submitted a ticked for support but havent recieved an answer quite yet. Ive read a few problems of people running into this and was wondering if anyone on here has had this problem and got it resolved or fixed it themselves.

smokinreefer
11-10-2016, 04:12 PM
I had the same happen to me on a fixture...

The pads are wired so if one goes out, they all go out...
If I recall this happens when blue channel is run at 100%

It was out of warranty but support gave me instructions on how to diagnose this issue.

Once confirmed, I ordered a replacement pad from my LFS, and switched out the burnt pad quite painlessly.

IronChefItaly
11-13-2016, 05:36 PM
I have a razor and bought a second used one but once I took it home i realized nearly 1/4th of the LEDs are burnt out. How much were the new LED pads?

smokinreefer
11-14-2016, 12:25 AM
The LED pad is about $60.

I'll post up the instructions later on how to test which pad is the one with the burnt out LED.

Reefrandybar94
11-14-2016, 01:52 AM
That would be greatly appreciated

smokinreefer
11-14-2016, 02:46 AM
To identify which LED pad is the problem:
The pads are in series, so when one is done, they will all stop working.
Try bypassing a pad by shorting it.
Use a copper wire and connect B+ to B-.
When you bypass the faulty pad, the others will light.

When you remove the cover, you will see the connections are labeled.
So just follow the steps above.

I used this method to isolate and replace a faulty pad.
I'm a cable guy, so I just used a small piece of copper core from a piece of coax

jordanc_17
11-14-2016, 04:36 PM
I had my blue channel die on both of my units after around 2 years. Maxspect did replace the control board I think. My LEDs looked burnt almost, the area around each of the blue diodes was cracked. Didnt end up replacing the light pod and they have worked for the last 6 months like new.

Reefrandybar94
11-14-2016, 06:53 PM
I am an electrician aswell so shouldnt be a big deal just never dealt with lights like this. Are all the terminals labeled a(+)(-) and b (+)(-)? I havent quite opened up the fixture itself yet as i wanted to contact maxspect and see what they said.

smokinreefer
11-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Yup it's all labelled.