PDA

View Full Version : Food Grade Pail

Chaner888
11-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Im looking for food grade pail (6 Gal) for water changes. Anyone know where I can buy?? Big Al is closed down now.

Thanks for the help.

duncangweller
11-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Have a look at homebrew beer stores. 6 gallon is a common size for fermentation vessels.

mike31154
11-15-2016, 02:09 PM
I've been using empty IO salt buckets as secondary fermentation vessels for beer making. Can't absolutely guarantee they're rated food safe, but no issues to date & I have more than I need. As far as water changes I have no concerns whatsoever in using the empty IO buckets. After all, they held the salt used in to mix water in my tank. If not mistaken any plastic with the #2 reycling designation is considered food safe.

Myka
11-16-2016, 12:59 AM
Im looking for food grade pail (6 Gal) for water changes. Anyone know where I can buy?? Big Al is closed down now.

Thanks for the help.

How long are you leaving the water standing in the pail? If you're go mixing on the fly, I wouldn't worry about food safe much, and I'd just use a salt pail. If you're mixing overnight or for a week or so, then I'd have the same concerns as you. Check out the brewing shops, and also check out water companies like Culligan or whatever local store you have as they usually have some sort of tubs. Prices vary A LOT.

Chaner888
11-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Oh thanks Mike for the Tip. Ill try that out for sure.

mike31154
11-16-2016, 03:00 PM
To clarify my last, I actually use a rectangular rubbermaid style container that holds about 25 gallons to mix up my salt water. Often I allow it to mix with a small AquaClear powerhead in it for days, even up to a week. I use the empty salt buckets to lug the water from the basement to my tank when I do water changes. Been using rubbermaid tub for years now, it's caked with calcium residue from the salt mix & bulging at the sides from the weight of the water kept in it. No issues yet with my tank that I could remotely attribute to the use of this container.

For a container the size I described above, just make sure it's fairly robust. The first one I used had thinner sides & eventually cracked. Many of them come with lids. I drilled a small opening near the top of the container & run my RODI line to it via a JG fitting.

mike31154
11-16-2016, 03:19 PM
How to identify food grade plastics. HPDE (#2 recycling symbol) is considered safest, but others are 'acceptable'. PETE (1), LDPE (4), PP (5).

http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Food-Grade-Buckets

I just checked the bottom of an IO salt mix container & it is PP #5. No idea what my rubbermaid is 'cause it's half full of DI water, so unable to check the bottom.

11-17-2016, 02:47 AM
Home Depot sells food grade buckets I think they are around 6 beans.

ronau
11-18-2016, 03:09 PM
http://www.calgaryplastic.ca/