PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a Tang

gregzz4
11-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Hey all. This is H2o2's Tang. It's Black, has a White band on it's caudal fin, Purple trim on it's anal fin, and when excited develops a Purple ring around it's knife.
Anyone have a clue what it is?

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Rebuild/Harrys%20Tang_zpspmq4u1dy.jpg

davej
11-06-2016, 01:14 AM
Possibly a Lieutenant Tang?

Stinktooth
11-06-2016, 01:20 AM
Doctorfish tang?

Myka
11-06-2016, 04:03 AM
That's my thought too - a really dark variation.

H2o2
11-06-2016, 05:39 AM
I had a look at the Lieutenant Tang on LIVEAQUARIA and he or she is for sure that shape but black body and the tail has stone white trim but it does have a purple ring around the scalpel just like that one and if u see in my photo mine has purple trim on the pectoral also but I guess if u could get a black variant it could be maybe but just not sure

gregzz4
11-06-2016, 10:19 PM

That's my thought too - a really dark variation.
I originally was thinking the same thing before I started this thread. All the body, fin and mouth shapes/eye position are correct.
But I wanted some community input first before voicing my opinion as the color/marking differences are so drastic.

I had a look at the Lieutenant Tang on LIVEAQUARIA and he or she is for sure that shape but black body and the tail has stone white trim but it does have a purple ring around the scalpel just like that one and if u see in my photo mine has purple trim on the pectoral also but I guess if u could get a black variant it could be maybe but just not sure
I'd go with it being a variant.
Either way Harry, it's a gorgeous fish and you're lucky to have such a rarity.

H2o2
11-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Thanks all and when I get home I will have another real good look and let u know and thanks Greg he truly is a beauty and a machine , constantly grazing also a great tank mate doesn't bother anyone

Myka
11-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Here's a thought...try turning the lights on in the middle of the night and see what color he is then. He will probably be pale and you may be able to see if he has that crescent shape behind his gills that Lieutenants have.

H2o2
11-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Will do as I normally get home after the lights are out but only have 1 hand to work with other one is holding a glass of wine