PDA

View Full Version : Any acan experts?

TheWatchmanGoby
11-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Hi, i bought a vivid acan mini colony a couple weeks ago and it seems to have lost its vividness but not its size.
Its tentacles are out everynight and i feed it every second or 3rd day. Hes got some fatness and puff to him too.
My light is a radion g2 and i run it all day on blues (50%) and a couple hours in the morning with some white and a little red and green in there. Light is 12 inches off tank. My tank is 24 high and right now the acan is about 5 inches off sandbed on a rock in the center of tank with low flow.(hammer in the same area is at a gentle slow motion pulse/sway)

Ryanerickson
11-04-2016, 09:34 PM
I'm no expert but I've always found acans don't like direct white led and will stay shriveled up while there on.

TheWatchmanGoby
11-04-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm no expert but I've always found acans don't like direct white led and will stay shriveled up while there on.
yeah i think i got 10% of white mixed in for a couple hours in the morning, which isn't much at all.

nothing can just be easy.

tang daddy
11-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Blue LEDs will bring some colours out of acans but blue plus t5 are supposedly to bring the best colours out of acans, in the ocean I would suspect acans are found quite deep down meaning that the light they receive is most likely going to be a light to dark blue and very muted.... something to keep in mind, while leds don't seem very bright to the eye they can and will bleach a lot of lps, even some Montipora species get effected by them if not acclimated properly.

Ryanerickson
11-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Acans and chalice love t5 just saying 😀

TheWatchmanGoby
11-04-2016, 11:03 PM
Blue LEDs will bring some colours out of acans but blue plus t5 are supposedly to bring the best colours out of acans, in the ocean I would suspect acans are found quite deep down meaning that the light they receive is most likely going to be a light to dark blue and very muted.... something to keep in mind, while leds don't seem very bright to the eye they can and will bleach a lot of lps, even some Montipora species get effected by them if not acclimated properly.

gonna try move it down and to the side.thanks.

sobe
01-03-2017, 11:06 PM
I have recently got some Acans as well, I noticed I first put it on a rock mid level in the tank and each head seem to have constricted and didn't look happy. I moved it to the sandbed and it's all puffed up now and colors are back up. So yea I think further away from direct light. My tank is about 24" deep. Right now it's growing into a dome shape. I will put a flat LR where it can grow and spread

tang daddy
01-04-2017, 09:24 PM
All my acans down on the side receive mostly blue and atinic led light with a hint of blue, they are super puffy yet I never feed them...