PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Tanks

JOSH
11-16-2004, 02:29 AM
I took a break from reef keeping for a while but would like to make a small return with a nano tank. I was thinking of purchasing one of those Eclipse tanks/hoods as I believe they come complete with pump, filter, PC lighting (not sure how many bulbs) etc. I would probably need to add a power head or two but other then that I think they are ready to go.

Are these tanks and standard equipment any good. I would just like to keep a couple fish, some live rock and a few corals.

some feedback would be great.

Thanks
Josh

Samw
11-16-2004, 04:03 AM
I have an Eclipse 6 which comes with 8 watts of NO light. Its wasn't enough to keep any softies alive. Also, there is not a lot of circulation nor aeration. A powerhead will help but I'm not sure if that'll produce enough oxygenation to have a really loaded tank.

Canadian Man
11-16-2004, 05:40 AM
I have a fw tank with my 2 angels with the eclipse hood. Mind you I have cut out all of the filter unit's and use an eheim cannister :lol: :rolleyes:

Ok little units. If your going to do a short tank like 20ish inches than it should suffice for what you want to do with it.

I wouldn't use their filter cartridges though. Just throw some bio spheres in there and use the bio wheel and you should be good. :biggrin:

spikehs
11-16-2004, 06:04 AM
if you want to go nano, try one of the new nanocube dx's.... better lighting (still not great though) and there is lots of documentation on mods to make em reef ready. Or get one custom made like i did from interamerica.

gbeef
11-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Those tanks are bunk. my dad bought one and the carbon clogs up. weve replaced it and tried repairing it. Also the motor in the filter system is too strong i think thats whats moving carbon around.

Stay away from the eclipse, I have to give props to the hoods they look slick everything built in but looks arent everything.

danny zubot
11-16-2004, 08:07 PM
For the price you are going to pay for an Eclips set up, you can buy all of the parts you'll need to set up a way better nano if you just aquire everything separately.

doublette
11-16-2004, 09:11 PM
I've been running a 6 gallon eclipse freshwater for just about a year. I found this web page (http://www.turetsky.org/) about turning it into a nano reef. I've been saving the link in case I get bold enough to try it! :lol:

JOSH
11-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Spikehs:

Where can you get a nanocube dx and how much do they run for?
What do the come with?

meltdownaverted
11-18-2004, 07:05 PM
When I was at extreme marine in Toronto this month I saw a 24x24x24 tank he had set up. It had an eclipse type filtration unit in the hood but with better flow, and it had two PC lights under the hood. he said either 220 or 280 for a price. I can't remember the manufacturer but you should be able to contact the owner of the store on aquariumpros (the board he is part of),by the way this store has a great selection and extremely helpful staff.