PDA

View Full Version : T5 bulb to augment LEDs

vanreefer
10-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Hi
I am looking for recommendations for the best (your preferred) T5 bulb to augment full spectrum LEDs. I am adding four 2' T5s to my current 3 GHL mitras in an effort to address some of the shadowing and spotlighting. All of the bulbs will need to be the same as I am placing them between the pendants and at each end.
Cheers
VR

Scythanith
10-30-2016, 09:58 PM
Exact same situation I was in. I added 4 x 48" T5's. I run superblues and it works out well.

Potatohead
10-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Blue plus and coral plus.

Sorry, if I was doing just one I would probably do coral plus and set the LED's on the blue side.

adam84
10-31-2016, 03:15 AM
I went coral plus and actinic on mine, seems to be working out well would be interested to know how the coral and blue plus combo works

Myka
10-31-2016, 03:59 AM
I would use Coral Plus since it is a more balanced spectrum than your LEDs. Then you can tweak the Mitras on the blue side to get the look you want.

Wheelman76
10-31-2016, 06:19 AM
I really like the 50/50 mix of blue plus with coral plus for colouring and growing Acropora.

vanreefer
11-02-2016, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the advice!! Because of how I'm going to mount them I will need to use all the same bulbs. Think I will follow Mykas recommendation I can always add more blue and drop the green warm white down/off if it's too green or yellow

Myka
11-02-2016, 01:48 AM
Please let us know how it goes in the next 4-8 weeks. :)

tang daddy
11-02-2016, 02:32 AM
Agree with the other users that if you are only using 24w,
you want to maximize the light output which a whiter bulb can be more effective than the blue plus. It should definitely fill in the shading, from my understanding and most of the reefers on here would agree the blue LEDs bleach Lps corals lesss than the white LEDs. Most times when you turn the whites to maximum you will bleach corals unless you have a deeper tank with lower scape and wider lens. Blue LEDs run at max won't do this.

corallivore
11-03-2016, 06:09 PM
I feel like it's better the other way around.

Use leds to supplement t5s.

Get the spectrum of t5s but the pop of led...

As long as heat isn't a concern, t5 is way more tested and true.

vanreefer
11-03-2016, 11:08 PM
I feel like it's better the other way around.

Use leds to supplement t5s.

Get the spectrum of t5s but the pop of led...

As long as heat isn't a concern, t5 is way more tested and true.

I may actually agree with you... but I have my current LEDs that are doing a great job with colour and growth now just want to address shadowing as the tops of my corals are starting to shadow the bases.

vanreefer
11-04-2016, 02:09 AM
Please let us know how it goes in the next 4-8 weeks. :)

Will do.

corallivore
11-04-2016, 03:34 PM
I was running a pretty ghetto diy.

Just installed an aqua ray into my RSM250 under the front panel...it flips up when I feed but that's really the only downside.

I can't imagine being any happier with the color...

I was thinking of a steves LED custom but now that technology seems kind of outdated and I'm glad I didn't.

I ran the E5 leds for a while and I have to say that they did an awesome job...they didn't have the pop of led but they had 0 disco ball effect or shadowing...The blue Daylight would prob be ideal for filling in your t5's.

If your fixture is 36", I have a buttload of bulbs you can have to try out...pretty much everything JL carries.

they're all 6 months - 18 months old though.