PDA

View Full Version : Placing a Tank on an Uneven Floor

reefmandan
10-29-2016, 11:31 AM
So I picked up a 120g (4x4x2) setup from a local reefer here in Edmonton. Tank is really nice, in great shape and sits on top of a square tube steel frame, that is solid like a tank. The load sits on a 4x2 square of tube, as opposed to legs.

The place that I have in mind for the tank is in the living room on the second floor of our townhouse, sitting directly above a floor beam, with the joists running perpendicular (so parallel to the long length of the tank). Left to right, the tank is perfectly level, however it lists considerably coming off the wall. Please see pictures to see what I mean.

I'm wondering what my option are, as I've never had to manually level a tank before. Is shimming part of the stand an option? The stand its on a laminate floor, so I'm a bit concerned about the significant weight resting on shims, possibly denting the floor. Really I'm just looking for some feedback, see what you guys think, experience you've had and what my options might be.

Thanks!

reefmandan
10-29-2016, 11:32 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161029/bbbcc5b389e07688e367e5a56dc65890.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161029/caad41ec64908909e9626ea989d8b940.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161029/a1b7e2ddaa8970417bc075f4d8e0e5da.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

reefmandan
10-29-2016, 11:37 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161029/491d0d0cd4c8b2d73415f5f1126bcf08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Galizio
10-29-2016, 02:06 PM
I think now u can buy self levelling mats.... check innovative marine,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myka
10-29-2016, 04:06 PM
I'm wondering what my option are, as I've never had to manually level a tank before. Is shimming part of the stand an option? The stand its on a laminate floor, so I'm a bit concerned about the significant weight resting on shims, possibly denting the floor. Really I'm just looking for some feedback, see what you guys think, experience you've had and what my options might be.

Thanks!

Denting the laminate is a possibility. The other thing to consider is if you put that steel frame directly onto the laminate it will stain it with rust because no matter how good the powder coat is, it will eventually rust from salt creep. At the very least, I always put down a mat. In your case, you need something with substance to it, so a mat won't be enough. I'd recommend you use 1/4" plywood, and then you can shim between the plywood and the steel stand. If you plan to keep the sump area open like it is, then paint the edges of the plywood black so it blends in with the steel tubing. DO NOT paint the bottom of the plywood because the paint will stick to the laminate.

reefmandan
10-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Myka, great suggestion. What do you suggest shimming with? Are smaller point of contact (e.g. cedar "wedge" shims) okay for this, and just placing them every six inches or so?

Frogger
10-29-2016, 05:19 PM
You can't really shim a wood floor, the floor will dent where the shims are. I made a small wood frame and poured self leveling concrete over my wood floor. I placed a thin layer of plastic under the concrete so it wouldn't damage the floor. I removed the wood frame, painted it black and my tank is now perfectly level. The concrete is between 1/4" and 3/4" thick.

reefmandan
10-29-2016, 06:37 PM
You can't really shim a wood floor, the floor will dent where the shims are. I made a small wood frame and poured self leveling concrete over my wood floor. I placed a thin layer of plastic under the concrete so it wouldn't damage the floor. I removed the wood frame, painted it black and my tank is now perfectly level. The concrete is between 1/4" and 3/4" thick.

That's a great idea, but may be a bit beyond my ability at the moment.

Frogger
10-29-2016, 06:47 PM
That's a great idea, but may be a bit beyond my ability at the moment.

It wasn't that difficult. Went to home depot bought 1x2 for frame, 1 bag of self leveling concrete, and some cheap thin stick on plastic shelf wrap.

smokinreefer
10-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Some great tips here...

I like that platform made with the self leveling concrete. Great idea.

Im going to be having a 10' x 30" stand put down on some new engineered hardwood. Should I have the stand go directly onto the subfloor instead?

kengeroo
10-29-2016, 07:53 PM
https://www.amazon.ca/EZ-Shim-ETC-1A-Plastic-Shims-Misc/dp/B002Y0LIQE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477770749&sr=8-3&keywords=ez+shim

once a year I check the level and have to tweak it a little,

Myka
10-30-2016, 04:59 AM
Myka, great suggestion. What do you suggest shimming with? Are smaller point of contact (e.g. cedar "wedge" shims) okay for this, and just placing them every six inches or so?
Use composite shims, they won't crush, rot, splinter, or expand like wood shims can. Plus cedar shims are very soft- they're designed to shim vertically, not carry a load horizontally. Use a whole pack or two...they are inexpensive. If you place the shims close together they won't dent the plywood. If you place them too far apart they will get pressed into the plywood.