PDA

View Full Version : New pump and plumbing

Humpty
10-25-2016, 01:21 PM
So i have a 180g tank with what I believe is 2-1.5" overflows and 2 - 1" bulk heads for return lines. I have a queitone 6000 that is on its way out and I was looking at replacing it with a Jebao DCS 9000. Jebao says it does 2300gph and has a native 1.5" connection. My return line is plumbed in 3/4" line. Im assuming I should redo the return line plumbing to all be 1". Is 1" line going to be enough to run this pump properly? If the bulkhead is 1",is there really any use in doing bigger line before the bulkhead? Will a pump with that kind of flow work with 3/4" line?

whatcaneyedo
10-25-2016, 01:50 PM
While they don't have your specific pump to choose from you could pick a similar one and play around with this head loss calculator to see roughly how much flow you will lose by going with smaller diameter plumbing. http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

In my opinion it would be a waste of money/electricity to use small plumbing with a large pump. My 120gal and now 225gal have used a Reeflo Dart with 1.5" plumbing for the return line. You could run 1.5" as your return and then T it into two 1" lines for the bulkheads.

Myka
10-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Since you have two return lines, I'd use 1.5" from the pump to a tee where it splits to each return. I'd try to get that tee as close to the bulkheads as is feasible. Run the 1.5" right into a 1.5" tee, then slip a 1.5" by 1" reducer bushing into each output, and run 1" from there to your bulkheads. Depending on how it ends up getting plumbed, I often like to put a ball valve on whichever return line is shorter/straighter so I can throttle it back so it gets even flow with the other one (if that matters to you).

Humpty
10-25-2016, 02:11 PM
So you are suggesting that I just run 1 return pump and tee it into both return bulkheads?

Myka
10-25-2016, 02:19 PM
So you are suggesting that I just run 1 return pump and tee it into both return bulkheads?

Yes, though I'd suggest you have a second pump ready to go. You can switch them out to clean them. Super handy. One is hooked up and working, then other one is disconnected and cleaned, and ready for the next change out. Then when one craps out, you won't be in a big panic to find one. Plus it will be a long weekend, and everything will be closed, and you'll end up paying $40 in express shipping to get it asap because that's how return pump breakdowns happen. :lol:

At 5 ft head pressure and some fittings it looks like you'll have about 1400 gph according to the chart I found. If you have 30-50 gallons in your sump that gives you 6-6.6x turnover through the sump. I usually aim for 3-6x turnover, so you're good to go. If you go too fast through the sump you'll get microbubbles in the display, and it's a waste of electricity because the skimmer can only process so much water, so providing it with more dirty water than it can process is a waste.

Humpty
10-25-2016, 02:23 PM
oops i didnt see the above post before i posted the last one.
So if i am running one pump instead of 2 should i get a bigger one? maybe the jebao dc12000.
What kind of flowrate should I be looking for? At the moment I am running 2 quietone 6000s, but according to the flow chart I am only getting about 750gph out of each. I have a 180g tank and 80g sump.
It looks like a dc12000 plumbed like you said would get more flow rate then 2 quietones the way they are now.
Currently i have a reef octopus 5000sss skimmer.

Myka
10-25-2016, 02:23 PM
Also, you have two drain lines that are both 1.5"? Are you planning a Herbie silent drain? I hope so. :)

Myka
10-25-2016, 02:24 PM
I have a 180g tank and 80g sump

So is the sump half full? About 40 gallons in the sump?? See the above post for the flow rates I calculated for you.

Humpty
10-25-2016, 03:01 PM
the overflows are in each corner. I have the stockman setup. and yes the sump is just over half full. Those flow rates were for the dc9000?
I just double checked and it looks like I have 3/4" return lines. Does that change the flowrate?

dustinc
10-27-2016, 04:02 AM
I have a DCS9000 plumbed into a single 1" return... it does come with an adapter for 3/4" but I wouldn't go with a single 3/4"... I only run mine at 60%

Myka
10-27-2016, 12:48 PM
the overflows are in each corner. I have the stockman setup. and yes the sump is just over half full. Those flow rates were for the dc9000?
I just double checked and it looks like I have 3/4" return lines. Does that change the flowrate?
Google "DCS9000 flow chart" and double check yourself.

So put a 2" long piece of 3/4" pipe coming out of the 3/4" bulkhead. Attach a 3/4" by 1" reducer bushing, slide the reducer bushing into a 1" elbow and run that down to your 1.5" tee.

Or you could use two pumps, one for each side, and throttle them back.

I have a DCS9000 plumbed into a single 1" return... it does come with an adapter for 3/4" but I wouldn't go with a single 3/4"... I only run mine at 60%

Humpty needs to run a single 9000 at 90-100% for his tank size.

Humpty
10-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately the tank is so close to the wall i don't know if i can fit anything but an elbow on. I will grab a few parts from home depot and see if i can make it fit. If not i will have to go with 3/4" after the 1.5" T, which i planned on putting in between the bulkheads at the same height as the bulkhead and having the tee directly in the middle of them.
Looks like 2-3/4" lines are slightly bigger then 1 - 1" line. I plan on running the pump at 100%.
I pulled out the bulkhead and i definitely cannot fit a 1" bulkhead. Is it common to have 3/4" returns and a 1.5" drain? the 3/4" returns seem really limiting.

Myka
10-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Yeah 3/4" is the usual return size.

If you can't fit a 1" elbow behind the tank then put the reducer bushing on the bottom side of the elbow instead and use 3/4" elbow going into 1" pipe.

Humpty
10-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Ok. So I will keep the pipe as big as possible for as long as possible.
Thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate it!!