PDA

View Full Version : Looking For: Up to date DIY LED build thread.

Cade
10-23-2016, 06:09 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if I could ask for some help. Im considering setting up a new tank, and I will be using LED's.
I prefer to DIY most of my projects and have made custom LED pendants before.

Im having trouble locating a up to date thread with someone who has built a DIY LED lighting system. I have found a lot of older threads but I can't seem to find something recent. Im being a little picky admittedly, only looking at SPS dominated systems so this could explain the lack in my search resaults.

This is one thread from 2012 that I really like: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1761942
Here is his tank in 2013:

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/137-tank-of-the-month

Anyways just dreaming and planning, you all know how that is...:mrgreen:

Thank you for any help,

Cade

Cade
10-26-2016, 12:49 AM
88 views and no reply's? -_-

toytech
10-26-2016, 01:47 AM
With the availability of ready made ,full spectrum led fixtures at reasonable prices i dont see why people would DIY there own anymore . Lots of people have sps led reefs with ebay lights now.

mike31154
10-26-2016, 02:25 AM
My build dates back to 2012 as well, but might be worthwhile checking out for info. Still going strong >4 years later. Link below. Don' t think that much has changed in the last few years other than prices & more variety in spectrum.

Cade
10-26-2016, 04:58 AM
With the availability of ready made ,full spectrum led fixtures at reasonable prices i dont see why people would DIY there own anymore . Lots of people have sps led reefs with ebay lights now.

You're probably right, why spend 10 hours or more on something when they are put together for so cheap.
But reading, planning, sourcing. ordering (apologizing to the wife) then eventually building is a lot of fun for me.

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Cade
10-26-2016, 04:59 AM

You're probably right, why spend 10 hours or more on something when they are put together for so cheap.
But reading, planning, sourcing, ordering (apologizing to the wife) then eventually building is a lot of fun for me.

:mrgreen:

My build dates back to 2012 as well, but might be worthwhile checking out for info. Still going strong >4 years later. Link below. Don' t think that much has changed in the last few years other than prices & more variety in spectrum.

Thank you, Ill have a read. :)

Jaws
10-26-2016, 05:17 AM
If I ever decided to do one again I'd buy the prewired pucks like the ones similar to the pucks used in radions. At least they're full spectrum and most of the work is done for you already.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

daplatapus
10-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Here's my DIY LED build complete with controller. A bit more than just a LED fixture but I'm extremely happy with it, been running for over a year now without me even looking at it. If you're going DIY, let me know as I have a TON of extra bits and pieces, parts, drivers etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92843&highlight=Jarduino

I also was probably even more interested in the road to the finished product than the product itself. I'm big on DIY and not everybody understands the joy a true DIY'er gets when it's done.

Cade
11-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Thank you for your replies. Lots of reading to do. :mrgreen::mrgreen: