PDA

View Full Version : Electrical wiring

Chin_Lee
11-15-2004, 06:42 AM
Hello
I was wondering if the board members who are more educated with electrical wiring can help to explain to me the effects on the ballast and bulb in the two diagrams. I see similar diagrams on the fulham wiring diagrams (with two bulbs than four) but i would like to know the difference is. Or direct me to the right direction. thanks
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/236ballast.jpg

ldzielak
12-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Did you get any response, if not send me a PM.

Lee

StirCrazy
12-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Ballast 1 is a normal set up for NO lighting. Ballast 2 is a set up for running in series and will overdrive the bulbs, what kind of bulbs are you trying to run?

Steve

ldzielak
12-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Ballast 1 is a normal set up for NO lighting. Ballast 2 is a set up for running in series and will overdrive the bulbs, what kind of bulbs are you trying to run?

Steve

The second one is overdriving and may not even work if the total length of all the lamps is longer than what the ballast can handle. I second Steve question, what kind on lamps?

Lee

Chin_Lee
12-06-2004, 01:26 AM
I'm running it on two 60" VHO's.

ldzielak
12-06-2004, 01:37 AM
I forgot to say in my PM, if you use 2 reds for each lamp and put them in parrallel, then you would undrive them slightly, but only use 1 ballast. I don't think the series would work, but no harm in testing it. Worst thing is it will not fire up.

Lee

michika
12-06-2004, 01:48 AM
I don't think the series would work, but no harm in testing it. Worst thing is it will not fire up.

Lee

That would burn out the ballast, because its like a short circut. It should should be 1 wire per bulb, but it is recommended not to run them in series.

ldzielak
12-06-2004, 02:47 AM
I don't think the series would work, but no harm in testing it. Worst thing is it will not fire up.

Lee

That would burn out the ballast, because its like a short circut. It should should be 1 wire per bulb, but it is recommended not to run them in series.

Michika,

We are talking about a WH7, I have done bulbs in series for years. Other ballast I agree would be problems.

Lee

michika
12-06-2004, 03:08 AM
I didn't catch anything about WH7s...

my bad...

ldzielak
12-06-2004, 03:36 AM
I didn't catch anything about WH7s...

my bad...

Fulham makes the WH7 ballasts.

Lee

StirCrazy
12-06-2004, 03:40 AM
I'm running it on two 60" VHO's.

thats to much load for a WH7 so don't try it. you can run two 48" VHO in series max on a WH7

Steve

ldzielak
12-06-2004, 03:52 AM
That's what I said, I don't think it will fire.

Lee

Chin_Lee
12-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Thank you Steve and Lee - the LIGHTING GURUs of the Island :biggrin: I have a better understanding now. I have three reds going to one end of each vho right now and capped off the fourth red. As suggested, I'm going try taking away one of the reds and see what the difference is between the two bulbs side by side. One bulb will have 3 reds from a wh7 and the other bulb will have 2 reds from a wh7. I don't know if my eyes will be able to visually differentiate between the two but I'll give it a test. If it works just as well, I might be able to take away one of the wh7s saving energy, $, and ballast heat.

IslandReefer
12-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Just my 2cents worth.
Chin_Lee use the light meter in your camera....from a fixed point bla...bla.. should be sensitive enough to give you relative values between the two bulbs.
Good Luck! Post the results please.

StirCrazy
12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
If there actinic lighting two wires will be fine most likely but a little dimmer. no need for a light meter just try doing it with the other light running also and see how you like the look. If you using VHO for main lighting then forget it just run 3 wires as you need all the punch you can get.

Steve