PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on switching from Zeovit to Biopellets.

Stnbrgn
10-19-2016, 08:47 AM
Hello everyone, I'm newish to this forum and have yet had time to post my build thread to this forum so until that happens I'll go over a few details regarding my system. The tank has been up and running for 5 months now, and I've been using the full Zeovit system since I started the tank in late April.
Tank Size: 300g 72"×36"×27"
Water Volume: 400g
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Alk: 6.8
All my other levels as of right now are all at natural seawater levels and stable.
I don't have many corals right now but plan to do an sps only reef in the future but want to add all my fish before I add more coral. I plan to have a heavy bioload and I'll be feeding alot.
Now to the question, the cost of running the zeovit system for my tank totals roughly $2000 a year in additives and chemicals, and thats just for the basics.
Now I've been pondering the idea of switching from Zeovit over to biopellets, as after the high initial cost of the reactor the following upkeep cost is very minimal. I've used Zeovit in the past with great success and i still plan to use there additives for colouration if I switch to biopellets.
Anyone else running biopellets in there reef or otherwise with good results? Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are welcome.

Myka
10-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Have you looked into Aquaforest? It is Zeovit-like, but simpler and quite a bit cheaper. The first shipment to a Canadian distributor has partially arrived from Poland with the rest of the line showing up in the next few weeks.

Otherwise, yeah biopellets are fine, just don't use too much volume, especially if you don't use a recirculating reactor. If you use too much and bottom out NO3 you'll get cyano. Recirculating reactor is much easier to tune Ime, non-recirc is much more aggressive.