PDA

View Full Version : Good Riddance 2004!!!

yakiwb2
11-15-2004, 03:56 AM
Definetly the worst year of my aquarist life. Beginning of the year..feb 04 or so,Started out with aiptasia...which lasted several months. :frown: Tried to use that Aptasia stop and that just created a massive algae bloom. :mad: Which lasted months. Finally got a hold of some peppermint shrimp which did the couple of hundred aiptasia jerks in, in about a month. Then my ballast broke. Lost my job. :eek: And was left in the dark which seemed liked forever. Got a job, and just moved, upgraded my Bak-pak to a Remora Pro and the Mag pump fell off and unloaded 12 gallons of water on my new floor!!! :sad: Good Riddance 2004.

I'll have some updated pics of my tank next week. As I am actually somewhat proud of what it looks like now.

Also, had a question. My brother and I attached my remora with a proper fastener this time which was suppose to be stainless steel. Well the wire is but not the screw...it has started to rust in about 24 hours after installation. Any ideas how bad a little rusty screw could be for a 58 gallon tank! As I don't think I'll be able to replace it with anything until next weekend and I want to keep my skimmer running.

Let this year End!!!!!!!!

bluetang
11-15-2004, 04:06 AM
buddy, if its rusting, take it off. as for another fastener, i dont know what to suggest.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Not sure if this will help....

Maybe get those plastic zapstraps. Wrap it around, pull it tight & cut off excess?

Don't know what fasteners you're worried about but just a thought...

bluetang
11-15-2004, 04:57 AM
They attached a Stainless steel hose clamp to the hose of the mag3 so it doesn't pop off and create a fountain streching to the ceiling again.

kris_willard
11-15-2004, 05:18 AM
The stainless steel will also corode (due to the salt) over time and leach the chemicals that make it "stainless" into the tank. Get that off there ASAP! There are plactic hose clamps. Somewhat difficult to find but once you have them your set.
Kris

sumpfinfishe
11-15-2004, 06:07 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news, sounds like things are getting better!
Yeah, I replaced anything metal this year even stainless with plastic nuts, bolts, clips, screws, and zap straps :biggrin:

Gools
11-15-2004, 11:59 AM
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cshop/PATL-5405W.html?L+scstore+mpyv3662fffc51fc+1100525348

kris_willard
11-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Those are the ones! Good find didnt notice they had them

yakiwb2
11-17-2004, 02:20 AM
Hey Gools.

Those are the clamps the remora comes with. They don't work :biggrin: As I had 12 gallons of water on my floor as witness.

Ken
11-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi, sorry to hear of all your mishaps. I had the same problem on the RemoraPro in the mag pump letting go of the hose and shooting water everywhere. What I did was to buy a barb fitting to fit onto the magpump, you see the hose that it came with will not secure onto the magpump very well, even though you clamp it because the mag pump has a threaded end. The barb fitting will secure the hose better. I just use plastics hose clamps, the ratcheting type to secure it. Works for me and haven't let go yet. Regards Ken