PDA

View Full Version : Rimless or euro braced

BobFish
10-18-2016, 11:23 PM
Can I see a show of what people out there would have in a new tank, and why?

Rimless or Euro braced

FishyFishy!
10-18-2016, 11:44 PM
After having a bunch of rimless tanks...I always end up with water over the sides. With wave maker technology the way it is now, its tuff to keep water levels constant enough for the wave motion. If you're doing a low flow system like for LPS and softies, no problem there. I had to remove a powerhead from my frag tank because i'd constantly get little drips of the front pane when my "else" mode would go to full power.

I also find that most people after losing a couple of fish to jumping will end up getting a lid made anyways. So there goes the sleek look.

One piece euros are just sexy as well in my opinion, but due to cost you dont see them enough.

duncangweller
10-19-2016, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't go rimless again. I'd sooner have the black rim on the outside of the tank than go rimless.

Besides, like you said....after a few fish go airborne then I'd always want to put a lid on it anyway.

warriorcookie
10-19-2016, 12:56 AM
My next tank will have a single piece euro brace for sure.

Myka might have pics of hers. Polished edges with no balck trim. Custom clear mesh to keep the carpet surfers on the inside too. Very sharp looking.

Myka
10-19-2016, 02:28 AM
I hate trimless tanks - like others said, they suck to clean because the magnet splashes water over the rim all the time.

Black trim is still quite common. At least you don't get the splahes, and I like that you don't see the water line. However, I'm not a big fan of black on tanks, be it trim or the stand, or th light fixture as I think it looks dated.

I strongly dislike the typical non-polished 4-piece eurobraced tanks as I think it looks messy and unfinished. I also don't like that it gets in it the way when you're working in the tank.

On my own tank I chose one-piece eurobracing all polished up with black silicone, and it is pretty slick. It does still get in the way when I'm working in my tank which annoys me, but I still enjoy the look of it. I got a friend with a 3D printer to print me out some custom corners for a flush-mount screen. It has a nice finished look to it. I ran the return line down through the eurobracing along the back.

Here's a quick cell phone pic:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/80d48ce96413a97e4b3ed6938a42494e.jpg

smokinreefer
10-20-2016, 12:14 AM
I was certain I was going rimless until this thread...

I certainly don't like the look of regular eurobracing, and will go rimless simply for the aethetics...

But maybe one piece eurobracing is the way to go... My tank goes up in cost to do rimless, because of thicker cost, wonder what the one piece costs in comparison to going with the thicker glass... Hmmm

Myka
10-20-2016, 01:31 AM
wonder what the one piece costs in comparison to going with the thicker glass... Hmmm

One-piece euro costs more than trimless. There's a ton of polishing.

smokinreefer
10-20-2016, 02:11 AM
Not what I wanted to hear lol

smokinreefer
10-20-2016, 02:13 AM
And I'm gonna guess, that even if it's possible, it's not even gonna be worth considering in an 8' tank...

Myka
10-20-2016, 04:15 AM
And I'm gonna guess, that even if it's possible, it's not even gonna be worth considering in an 8' tank...
That depends on your budget. ;) Personally, I would rather buy a smaller tank that is a work of art than a bigger tank that's run of the mill. I consider the aesthetics of the tank, stand, and lights more important than what's inside the tank. To each their own though. :)

sphelps
10-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Unless your tank is shallow an 8' rimless may not be feasible anyway. I believe most builders cut off for rimless is around 6'. I've seen some exceptions to this but typically a premium was involved and the base of the tank carried additional reinforcement.

intarsiabox
10-21-2016, 12:01 AM
I've had a rimless tank for years and it looks great and has never given me any issues. When I clean the top couple of inches I just go a little slower and no water splashes out when using a magnetic scrubber. I've had MP-40, RW's and a Gyre in the tank and none have caused water to go over the side either but I also don't have them pointed upwards as I prefer to let my returns to agitate the surface and have the wave makers provide the flow to corals. I have a magnetic scraper but I also like to give the glass a good scrub each week with a hand held cleaner on a long handle which is a lot harder to do at the top with a eurobrace without putting hands in the water. The one piece eurobraces look much better than 4 pieces of glass glued to the top of the tank but add quite a bit to the price. I like Mindy's screen being mounted inside the Eurobrace otherwise it looks like the tank has two lids on it if you plan on putting a mesh top over the tank. You always have the option of adding a one piece eurobrace down the road as well if you want to try both methods. Personally if I were to get a good deal on a tank either method wouldn't sway my decision.

gmann
10-21-2016, 01:07 AM
i hated how water would splash over on my rimless, so i ended up getting eurobrace on my new tank. One piece EB looks nice, but i honestly never look down on my tank, and i dont notice the 4 pcs of glass, so i decided to spend the savings on coral

IronChefItaly
10-21-2016, 02:01 AM
I've owned both rimless and eurobraced and I definitely prefer rimless. I'm currently operating with a Red Sea Reefer 250 and don't find it an issue keeping water in the tank. The biggest drawback for the eurobracing to me is that any bubbles that break near the surface create a film on the glass and condensation can also be an issue depending on the system - all in all leading to a pretty big eye sore unless you're constantly wiping it down. From a simple aesthetic approach I don't see how bracing can be preferable but from a practical perspective I can see why people like them.

tang daddy
10-21-2016, 08:20 PM
My tank now is a rimless and yes when I stick my hand in water drips down the sides....abit annoying but I bought the tank that way, cleaning a rimless is quite easy and with an euro brace there can be abit more sophistication but they both have the pros and cons. Either way there is negatives for both so I guess the question is...? are you willing to spend more on a euro race or just have a couple rags to wipe... my water has never splashed over the surface from power heads, but if you have crazy flow in your tank then it may and it also may with euro race depending on how much of a width you have. With that said I am fine with the rimless look now.

Pros
Rimless
- cleaner look.
- cost less
- mesh lid border doesn't block the light as much because it is on the outer edges.
-easier to clean the glass sides.

Eurobrace
- looks decent with beveled polished top
- gives you a place to rest your arm and fish items.
- will hold water in from splashing around the edges.

Cons

Rimless
-water dripping down the sides when hand is in and out of tank.
-water may splash if you have decent waves in the tank.

Eurobrace
-if the mesh lid sits flush inside the eurobrace it blocks abit of light from the border of the mesh lid.
-harder to clean the glass if you have a wider eurobrace

Anyone please feel free to add to this!