PDA

View Full Version : Return Pump

JB83
10-17-2016, 10:13 PM
I am looking for a return pump for a 120 gallon display tank with about a 30 gallon sump. The tank is going to be in my living which is right next to my bedroom (I live in a condo) so a quite pump would be appreciated. Does anyone have any suggestions, or what would be best?

Seems like most pumps come down to around the same $250 price tag.

Compact+ Pump 5000 - Eheim
Eheim Universal Pump - 1262
Mag - drive 12 Water Pump
Aqueon QuietFlow Submersible Utility Pump - AQ4500
VarioS-4 Controllable DC Pump (1050 GPH) - Reef Octopus
Syncra Silent 5.0 Pump (1321 GPH) - Sicce

or is it worth spending the extra $100 on something better such as:
Supreme Mag-Drive Utility Pump - Model 12
EcoTech Marine Vectra M1 Aquarium DC Water Pump

I don't have a controller, and that probably wouldn't be added for a very long time, would it be more beneficial to have a controller on the pump for feeding?

Thank you,

Reef-Geek
10-17-2016, 10:22 PM
You can also consider this one, I bought it a month ago and been happy with it so far, very quiet.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Jebao-Jecod-DCS-Silent-7000-Water-Pump-1320-to-1850-GPH.html

JB83
10-17-2016, 10:31 PM
Thank you! also a lot cheaper, which I like, and rarely happens in this hobby.

Ryanerickson
10-18-2016, 12:12 AM
Red dragon or vertex v6

FishyFishy!
10-18-2016, 01:16 AM
Thank you! also a lot cheaper, which I like, and rarely happens in this hobby.

True. I run the DCT15000 on my fish only, and its dead silent at 3800 GPH+. Also the controlability of flow is awesome. For the price, you cant really go wrong.

I have a mag 24 and a mag 18 running my reef system, and although they are very reliable, they are extremely loud. If they werent in a closed fish room, there's no way I could have them under a stand. They are also power hungry and expensive to replace if something goes wrong.

If you feel like burning 100 bills and looking great doing it, go for the ecotech vectras or a red dragon. Amazing pumps if you have the money.

Potatohead
10-18-2016, 02:37 PM
If you want an AC pump I would probably run the larger Eheim or Sicce. For a DC the Ecotech is nice but I hear much better if you keep them submerged or they can overheat unless you turn them down a bit. If you simply want something excellent and not too concerned about the money, can't argue with an RD.

JB83
10-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Thank you all for the information, it's definitely helpful and great to get a little more of an understanding of everything. The ecotech would be awesome to get, just will depend on the money. The jeabo is so much cheaper that it might be hard to pass that option up.

warriorcookie
10-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Another thing to consider is having a backup return pump.

I have 2 of the exact same pumps. That way every 6 months I swap one out for the other and can leave it soaking over night before cleaning it.

Also, if a pump fails I have a backup right away. These things usually happen at 2 in the morning on a Sunday when the LFS won't be open for a day or two... :redface:

dino
10-18-2016, 10:04 PM
I have a few I'm most impressed with my marine land. I have had it for four years in saltwater no issues. Never cleaned once

e46er
10-19-2016, 02:04 PM
I have a few I'm most impressed with my marine land. I have had it for four years in saltwater no issues. Never cleaned once

i hope you have a spare pump because your playing with fire there.

Myka
10-19-2016, 02:11 PM
I've been really happy with the Eheim Compact 3000 I put on my tank. It's dead silent, and great price point. When I switch it on after a water change, I have to look at the return nozzle to check that the pump is running because I can't hear it start up.

smokinreefer
10-19-2016, 11:49 PM
How's that jebao?
It's been quiet for you?
How long have you had it?

I was liking the vectra, but at less than half the price, I'm liking the idea of using a jebao and keeping a second one around in case one needs to be serviced.

Or is the vectra supposed to be so rock solid that it's a non issue?

Tankboy
10-20-2016, 12:15 AM
I have a Waveline DC6000 and a Eheim 1260 running my 125. Both of them are super quiet. The DC6000 makes a bit of noise when ramping up but is quiet when at speed. Quiet to ME at least!