PDA

View Full Version : Can someone coral sit my frags for about a month or so?

Son Of Skyline
05-30-2002, 01:57 AM
I'm going to be moving my 27gal tank on my upstairs floor to a 50gal tank on the bottom floor of my house. Can anybody be kind enough to coral sit my SPS frags and a couple of small clams for a month or so while I get my new tank cycled? There are a total of 16 acropora, montipora, and pocilipora frags and one baseball sized acro with a crab. The clams are 2 small (under 2") maximas. There's also a small sea mat polyp colony. If anybody could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks smile.gif

DJ88
05-30-2002, 02:29 AM
Mason,

A trick here is to make up the equal of your new tanks volume in salt water before hand. Put a few pieces of LR in there with a heater and PH. let it sit for a couple of days. Then when you go to move your tank jsut put any new sand in on the bottom, old sand on the top of that the old water from your tank, all your LR and then fill your tank with the remaining freshly made water.

I just did this same thing. Your tank will have some small cycles but nothing major like a new tank.

This way no need to have enyone coral sit your frags and clams and you can get it all done in one day. Concider it a big water change. ;)

Son Of Skyline
05-30-2002, 03:05 AM
Interesting technique. Thanks for the info. One small problem though...I'm going to be adding 150lbs of new dry aragonite sand on top of the existing sand I use now, and an additional 20-30lbs of new LR into the new 50gal tank. Wouldn't this cause more than just a little cycle? If not then your plan will work out perfect! If not...got any other suggestions? Thanks again.

DJ88
05-30-2002, 03:08 AM
Mason I just added 200lbs of new sand into my system. :D

7" DSB in the fuge, 6" in the sump and three inches in the tank.....

I'd make sure hte LR is fully sured before hand tho. if not let it sit in a bin for a week or two. with water changes a skimmer, light and circulation.

[ 29 May 2002, 23:10: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Son Of Skyline
05-30-2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by DJ88:
Mason I just added 200lbs of new sand into my system. :D

7" DSB in the fuge, 6" in the sump and three inches in the tank.....

I'd make sure hte LR is fully sured before hand tho. if not let it sit in a bin for a week or two. with water changes a skimmer, light and circulation.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow! In that case I'm all good to go! Thanks Darren. I owe you too much for the help you've given me over the past few months smile.gif

canadawest
05-30-2002, 03:53 AM
Ummm, I'd be willing to "permanently" house-sit any of your SPS frags, should the need arise??? ;)

But seriously, if you find that things aren't going as well as planned, I could look after a few items.

Son Of Skyline
05-30-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by canadawest:

...if you find that things aren't going as well as planned, I could look after a few items.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Andrew. It's relieving to know I've got an emergency backup smile.gif