PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Thick (1/2") glass

mr_alberta
11-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Anyone have any idea as to how to do this? I've looked at the cheapo glass scoring tools at Home Depot and they only recommend using that tool up to 1/4" glass. Is there a special scoring tool to be used on thick glass? Any idea as to where I could pick one up?

Thanks.

Chin_Lee
11-14-2004, 03:39 PM
i've successfully cut 1/2 inch thick glass with a tile saw. the one i used was a medium duty one that had a 6 or 8" blade. cut very nice, quick and smooth. i haven't tried the small tile cutters with 4" blade but i assuming it would work but not as fast.
cwlee

mr_alberta
11-14-2004, 03:49 PM
You are referring to the ceramic tile saws right? The ones that spray water onto the blade right?

Chin_Lee
11-14-2004, 04:23 PM
the one i have didn't spray but had a resevoir tray on the bottom that the blade dips into. same concept. give it a try with something smaller first to the get hang of it. the difficulty with this was the table area is not large enough to cut a large piece of glass - it was only cutting a strip into half. As you near the end of your cut, it will be extremely difficult to keep the two pieces perpendicular to the blade and finisihing with a clean cut through. For a larger piee of glass, you will have to jig a cutting surface table with a lowered area to be flush with the tile saw table height and a fence that's clamped down. hope that makes sense.

bear27
11-15-2004, 09:59 PM
You can cut glass of any thickness with that small cutter but it leaves a rough edge that needs to be sanded smooth