PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactors

Reefmaster
09-11-2001, 12:47 PM
Hi all. I will be purchasing a calcium reactor very soon and want some feedback on good/bad/ugly reactors. what is the general opinion? i understand many have DIY's and if i had more time i would build one too, but time is a rare commodity. i would consider buying a diy (no pst no gst) if the price were good enough and the unit worked damn good. no junk wanted! thanks. shane

SuperFudge
09-14-2001, 09:13 AM
Hey Shane,

Im sure most commercial reactors do a decent job,but the only one ive had experience with the Korallin 1501 wich worked well for me.

IMVHO you should try to purchased used or go DIY,unless you have a extra $1000 that you dont mind blowin!

I believe Titus makes a good reactor,but im unsure if hes still making them....Titus,you out there?

Marc.

titus
09-15-2001, 02:27 AM
Hello Reefmaster & Fudge,

I'm here. I scan this board from time to time. Work has been keeping me busy, as in scarily busy lately.

Anyway, with regards to reactor, I just sold one to Tim at Seacare. I took on the project because it's a custom unit and the application was unique.

As for Shane, most of the DIY I've ever come across are those ones made out of toilet flanges parts (or something like that). I suggest you check with MYREEF. His is the only legitimate one I've seen. You'll be able to find his contacts on www.reefs.org. (http://www.reefs.org.) He's a regular there.

Beware that calcium reactors are tricky equipment in the business. It's 99% understanding and feeling comfortable to operate (and tune) the equipment properly. Buying a cheap DIY (however nice made they are) is only half of the story. You should get great after sales support as well.

Have fun.
Titus

Reefmaster
09-15-2001, 01:23 PM
hey titus.
i've looked at the one you mentioned. if you have any interest in building one i would be interested in making that happen. email me privately if you like. otherwise i'll be looking at buying -- precision marine or korallin i think, possibly one of the myreefs. who has experience, good or bad, with any of these reactors? shane

titus
09-15-2001, 03:54 PM
Hello Shane,

Sorry but again, the business has been stopped for the moment because of other reasons. Mostly because I promised my family I will finish my thesis (yes, this is the beginning of the 3rd year of my Master).

Yes, like one of the members on this board said, reefkeeping is an addiction. A scary one. lol.

Here's a list of features for the 2 commerical brands....
Precision Marine
1) 2 models to choose from
2) good size pump even for the smaller model
3) cast acrylic (1/4" thick wall for tubing)
4) bottom mount
5) they used to bubble CO2 directly in the media but I think their latest models have changed to the aspirating venturi design

Korallin
1) 3 - 4 models to choose from
2) undersized pumps for the smaller models
3) top mount and aspirating venturi injected

And then there are minor details for each brand. Bear in mind also that none of these (doesn't matter what they say) are capable of self-siphon, which has to do with not only the pump size, but the water circuit design itself.

Before I started Canreef Aquatics, I had a Korallin C-1501. My experience with it was that it wasn't able to do self-siphon like it claimed. But overall, I think it is of a good product, just like many other ones out there. There are, however, minor details (such as media capacity, pump size, dual effluent capability, ease of media change) that I didn't like about it.

Bottom line, if I'm you, find the best deal you can get on either brand. And the rest of us on this board will help you out one way or another.

Titus

Reefmaster
09-17-2001, 11:42 PM
titus thanks for the words. after a bunch of online reading, we're gearing up for a precision marine 622. if anybody has any violent reaction to this reactor, please tell me now and not AFTER i'm a G poorer! on a side note, bought a very cool cont. monitoring ph meter today. made by hanna if anybody is interested. i think it kicks the pinpoint. shane

terryp01
09-20-2001, 07:15 PM
I think you all have to stand in line behind me when Titus starts his production on his CA Reactors again. Unfortunately, I missed out on an order by two days.

I have a KNOP C and an OLDENWELDER (Spelling, Made in Colorado) and have had trouble getting both of them tuned.

So, as soon as I sell these two I will be in the market again.

duss

reefboy22
10-22-2001, 06:15 PM
hi just getting ready to buy a 622precision marine reactor aswell please email me or let me know on here how its working for u please

Reefmaster
10-22-2001, 10:01 PM
joshua
we are extremely impressed with the 622. i haven't got much to compare it to, as this is the first reactor we have owned, but i have looked closely at some on the web and at some friends. this one has been well designed and is built pretty solid. i considered diy and it would have taken me along time to get it this good.

since i didn't get much feedback on the bb's and j&l couldn't tell me a whole bunch, i phoned Mike at PM in texas. i asked him a s..load of questions about top mount pump vs bottom mount, the difference between PM and Korralin, etc. i also talked to j&l a fair bit about the units they are familiar with to try to get some sort of comparison.

i can't tell ya how it does long term since its only been running on our tank for a couple weeks. have had a bit of trouble tuning it, but pretty much got'er nailed now.

bottom line, it was a pile of dough, maybe there was something available cheaper. i have never seen the canreef reactors but sounds like they were good and less money. if i had to do it again, i might look at the less expensive ones, but i might also accept paying the price and getting a kick ass unit that is built to perform and has already had all the wrinkles ironed out.

have you checked out their website? shane

reefboy22
10-24-2001, 12:24 AM
thanks for the reply i think im goin with it ill let u know how im pleased ttul bye...