PDA

View Full Version : Help me brainstorm my sump!

smokinreefer
09-30-2016, 03:49 AM
Hey guys,

So it looks like my final display will be a 8' x 30" x 24" H peninsula sps dominant mixed reef, with loads of fish!

Now comes the sump.
Everything needs to be under the stand, which will be 10' long.

A beam will need to be installed in the floor to support the tank, so I am hoping to run a drain into the basement to facilitate water changes. And *knock on wood* prevent and disastrous water damage to the main floor should any flood happen.

Not sure how to lay things out...

I will need:
skimmer section
an ato water reservoir
and ideally a smallish frag section.
Perhaps a quarantine, I am considering this because this is a large permanent display, I currently have not quarantined.
Maybe an area for some siporax.
Dry area for calcium reactor.
I think I will forego a refugium this time around.
Salt mixing tank.

Any ideas on how to lay this thing out?

The drain will be utilized to drain off water during water changes.

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Shao

smokinreefer
09-30-2016, 03:52 AM
Oh for orientation sake, access will be from the living room side, so over flow will be on the left side.

gregzz4
09-30-2016, 05:48 AM
Initially thought you were going sump room

NM, you want all your gear inside your stand
Sorry I can't help

smokinreefer
09-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Yeah I like the idea of a seperate sump room, but I don't have a proper "room" for it... It would just go into the crawl space, so low clearance and in the long run wouldn't be good as I have had back injuries. Also then I gotta deal with the humidity, and i think it would just be more practical for me to have everything on the same floor.

The only advantage for to stuff everything into the crawl space would be there is more room for a bigger water storage and water change system, and since its in the crawl space it wouldn't need to look pretty lol

kyl
09-30-2016, 06:37 PM
All I can say is make sure if you're using filter socks they're easy to access.

duncangweller
09-30-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm a big fan of keeping it simple.

Many people have multiple chambers for many different purposes. I have always just had two or 3 sections (3 if using a refugium). This makes it easy to work in, easy to clean and easy to organize.

Plus it gives you a larger return section with a greater volume allowing for less frequent top ups if not using an ato.

Just how I like it, not for everybody.