PDA

View Full Version : Looking for interceptor/sentinel/milbemax

F.H
09-28-2016, 11:49 PM
For the past couple months, I've lost a lot of my lps, and I couldn't put my finger on why.

Lps that were growing/thriving for over a year suddenly decided to kick the bucket, including some rather expensive ones which was a big loss for me.

Just today I noticed that there were tiny black bugs on my receding chalice, and after some research I found that the treatment options are the same as red bugs.

Calling around hospitals in Richmond, it's ridiculous trying to get some of this drug, and the policies surrounding it are absurd. Most clinics were confused when I said the word "aquarium" (you've never heard of an aquarium before? :rolleyes:)

Just wondering if anyone is able to spare some if they have it. Or if they know of a hospital which has dealt with this type of request before so that I don't waste 20 mins trying to explain it to them lol.

Thanks,

Fahd.
604 715 6353.

Jakegr
09-29-2016, 12:09 AM
It is illegal for a veterinarian to issue a prescription without an established veterinary-client relationship (this has a legal definition), so you can't blame them ;)

F.H
09-29-2016, 01:50 AM
I get that, and my message probably sounds more sour than I intended, but it's quite frustrating trying to locate this drug lol.

Especially since I've lost a lot of money on losing lps lately, which I couldn't figure out why for the longest time.

Losing money sucks, especially on a student's budget.

ClubReef
09-29-2016, 06:05 AM
I posted this on another thread:

Milbemax Large Cat from singapore website...they will deliver to Calgary:

https://www.ourpetworld.net/milbemax...wo-tablet-pack

16mg of Milbemycin Oxime (active ingredient that kills red bugs)
40mg of praziquantel"

F.H
09-29-2016, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the info ClubReef, I was actually thinking about that as a last resort.

I Was able to track down some though, thanks everyone.

Cheers.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-29-2016, 06:57 AM
Good to hear.

Myka
09-29-2016, 01:54 PM
I had good luck - I got Interceptor (about 5 years ago) from the first vet stop I made. I had not visited this clinic before. I printed off some medical articles, photos, and aquarium articles written by a PhD. I then managed to take a macro photo of one the corals in question. The vet looked over the information I provided and filled the prescription for me. :)

Coasting
09-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Fyi. Interceptor is back in Canada and is cheaper then sentinel so it shouldnt be that hard to get. It would work out cheaper then milbemax as well.

Jakegr
09-30-2016, 04:48 PM
I had good luck - I got Interceptor (about 5 years ago) from the first vet stop I made. I had not visited this clinic before. I printed off some medical articles, photos, and aquarium articles written by a PhD. I then managed to take a macro photo of one the corals in question. The vet looked over the information I provided and filled the prescription for me. :)

I am not meaning to be a downer in this thread I swear! This seems like a pretty reasonable thing of the vet to do, but again, using an anti-parasitic drug extra-label in Canada is also illegal and the vet therefore assumes a lot of liability. Using a drug "extra label" means that, for example, "use for copepod infections of corals" is not on the product label.

I like the Milbemax idea as that is available on the shelf. Just be careful when calculating the dose as an overdose could cause toxicity to other animals in the tank.

Myka
09-30-2016, 06:17 PM
I am not meaning to be a downer in this thread I swear! This seems like a pretty reasonable thing of the vet to do, but again, using an anti-parasitic drug extra-label in Canada is also illegal and the vet therefore assumes a lot of liability. Using a drug "extra label" means that, for example, "use for copepod infections of corals" is not on the product label.

I like the Milbemax idea as that is available on the shelf. Just be careful when calculating the dose as an overdose could cause toxicity to other animals in the tank.
You absolutely bring valid points to the thread. :) What I don't like about Milbemax is you end up dosing Praziquantel as well. Lots of people use Praziquantel in reef tanks for flukes, but I'm leery - one medication is bad enough. :eek:

Jakegr
09-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Ya I hear ya... milbemycin oxime has a very broad spectrum on it's own too so there are likely a lot of unintended casualties (scavengers, amphipods in the sand bed/rocks).

Coasting
10-05-2016, 02:56 PM
I did find some new interceptor white in the cupboard if anyone is needing to buy some for their tanks.