PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mount leds 3-4' above their tank?

smokinreefer
09-28-2016, 07:09 PM
Hey,

Has anyone run LEDs mounted high above a display?

For aesthetics I'm looking into this, but haven't really found much of anything on forums or the net.

I'm currently looking into orphek pendants that may do the trick. Using narrow 60* optics.

Let me know if you've tried, or seen, or have any links/pics to help research this.

Thanks!

WarDog
09-28-2016, 07:24 PM
I would suspect your PAR readings will suffer.

smokinreefer
09-28-2016, 08:57 PM
that's what I was thinking...
but there must be something out there that will do it...
I kinda recall a tank on RC where the guy DIY some led and had them high up, but that was years ago...

smokinreefer
09-28-2016, 09:12 PM
this is the tank, and this was with DIY over 5yrs ago...
surely there should be something premade that can handle this task...

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/137-tank-of-the-month

Trigger Man
09-29-2016, 04:45 PM
I ran the reef breeder Photon 48's and they were mounted 12" above the tank with no problems. I was told by the rep that I could go 1-2 feet above the tank and adjust the intensity. My tank looked good and grew everything nicely for the near 2 years I had it. In the beginning when I switched from t5's I had to lower the intensity to a max of 56% for a hour and gradually rose it to a max of near 74% for a hour a day in the end. The average intensity was at 54%. It will really depend on where you are putting your SPS in the tank and the tank depth.

smokinreefer
09-30-2016, 03:38 AM
Cool! So even "normal" retail fixture can do the trick if enough wattage is used.

So I think the "cannon" style pendants would work. Just not much documented experiences by hobbyists to get an idea of practicality, concerning intensities, shadowing, blending etc.

But at least I can keep this as an option.