PDA

View Full Version : Starting off a salt water aquarium help!!

Reefmagic
09-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Hey guys,

I have been a lover of fish from the day i can remember my dad buying our first fish tank and seeing all them beautiful fish swimming around it was mesmerizing. Then as soon as i moved out i went and got a fresh water aquarium which is very easy to look after with a beautiful variety of fish. Now i want to get serious and have a little ocean in my front room :biggrin: but i have been looking into the up keep of the saltwater aquariums and it is a lot more difficult. I have been searching online looking for saltwater aquariums for sale and found quite a few but i don't know where to start when it comes to sizes well just about everything. I have done some research my side and been to the local aquatic center found out about the different saltwater tests and prices of fish ect but that's about it. i will throw a few questions down see what you come up with guys.

1. Does the size of the tank matter? keeping the PH levels under control?
2. How long should i let the tank pump the water through the pump before adding fish?
3. Maybe a few good fish/coral to start with
4. And the maintenance how many hours a day/week do you spend on cleaning out, changing water etc ???

Any information would be greatly appreciated

http://www.madhattersreef.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/21202931_bavv.png.jpeg

Thanks guys

whatcaneyedo
09-26-2016, 10:18 AM
The size of tank absolutely matters, larger systems are more stable and can accommodate more livestock but obviously cost more.

One month would be an alright amount of time to allow a new system to cycle with some live rock before adding fish. However in some conditions it could be done sooner or even later.

I'm not going to suggest any good starter fish. One might recommend damsels as hardy inexpensive fish to start off a tank with... but if you have no desire to keep damsels that would be a stupid recommendation. The better question to ask yourself is what fish do you want to keep?

Minimally I probably spend 2 hours a week maintaining and caring for my system which is relatively large and highly automated.

Select the species of fish and coral that you want to keep and build a system suitable to accommodate them. Buy good quality equipment and you'll save money in the long term. Read a book or a lot of internet articles from reputable sources. Model your system after others who are successful at keeping what you want to keep.

swimfan
09-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Not sure if there is a post count or membership timeframe before you can explore the buy/sell adds. I find reefing equipment depreciates quite a bit and there seems to be a lot of good used equipment floating around. Some pieces of equipment might be worth spending more on than others. Depending what your ultimate goals are within the hobby.

Some might disagree, and if they do I hope they post some replies on this thread. Good test kits and a rodi ( reverse osmosis deionize) unit is a must. I've learned the hard way on a lot of this hobby, so hopefully you can learn from some of my mistakes

This hobby/addiction is a money pit. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Initial cost can be a lot, but there is continual cost to operating. Most reefers do water changes, varying in amount of water and time frames. To generalize, it ranges from weekly to monthly and can range from a small percent of total volume alway to large portions each time. That means one needs to replace rodi water, and salt to replace the amount removed. The rodi system has filters as well that have to be replaced periodically, once they're exhausted.

There is a fair amount of basic equipment that is generally required. Some reefers are creative and found ways to get away without some. For the most part you will need a protein skimmer, good lighting for corals, powerheads (water movers), heaters and a return pump if you incorporate a sump. I'm sure you know what a sump is if not, do a Google search on them. A lot or reefers utilize them, myself included. There is a lot of other equipment that a lot of us use I haven't listed, but I feel these are the bare basics. They all plug in, so you will need a lot of plug ins (gfci preferably) and a chair to catch you when you see your next power bill.

I am a firm believer (now) in quarantining/ dipping your livestock, another up front cost, that might save you a lot in the future. There is a lot of posts on this topic here on canreef and other reef forums if your interested

There is a ton of knowledge on canreef, so take advantage of it. Been in this hobby for six years now and still a ton to learn. Love reading tank journals and posts, a lot of intelligent reefers on here, so constantly trying to soak up as much I can. Definitely never stop learning in this hobby

Moogled
09-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Hey Reefmagic,

Welcome! I started back in 2007 but took a bit of a hiatus. I'm diving back into the hobby with a 5 gallon pico tank based on some of the things I learned the first time around.

Tank size definitely matters. You need to consider how much time you're willing to invest. I had a 33 gallon before and IMO it was still too much work when it came to water changes. That said, larger tanks can be more stable and having a nano/pico tank doesn't necessarily mean I spend less maintenance on it.

Saltwater is a whole different ball game. From your responses, I can tell that you need to spend alot more time reading about the foundations of a reef tank. Saltwater tanks are alot more complex due to additional filtration and maintenance mechanics vis-a-vis live rock/clean up crews/other various nutrient exporting methods.

If you don't take the time to understand what fish and corals need, it will be a huge money sink because stuff will definitely die on you. With freshwater tanks, you could have gone weeks without changing water or even topping up but if you do that in a reef tank (especially a smaller one), you'll risk losing your entire tank livestock.

Fortunately, there are technologies in this hobby that will make maintenance a bit easier. I'm now learning more about auto topoff systems as well as RODI/distilled water.

Craigdillman
09-26-2016, 05:28 PM
WELCOME TO YOUR NEW ADDICTION ... i mean hobby

This site and basically the internet as a whole is now an insane resource i would recommend you start doing some of your own research, these forums are awesome for any questions or advice or problems you have but its no filler for you doing your own research

(not sure if ill get in trouble linking this from another forum but )

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

Here is a good start of some great articles covering everything to think about and need to know when your planning a tank and getting into the hobby

Keep coming with the questions there are some people on here with amazing tanks and experience

cheers
Craig

Reefmagic
09-27-2016, 03:56 AM
I am looking at getting something big after doing some research and the fact that it will be better off in the long run. The fish i am looking into getting are corals, Triggers, Lion fish, Eels, to begin with and see how it goes from there.

Some really good advice in here guys that would have taken me a long time to work it all out, much appreciated. I am going to the http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074 to read some articles open my eyes a little more to the world of keeping seawater aquariums.

Thanks for the help guys i will get back to you after i have had a read!!!

Reefmagic
09-27-2016, 07:35 AM
Hey guys,

I have been a lover of fish from the day i can remember my dad buying our first fish tank and seeing all them beautiful fish swimming around it was mesmerizing. Then as soon as i moved out i went and got a fresh water aquarium which is very easy to look after with a beautiful variety of fish. Now i want to get serious and have a little ocean in my front room :biggrin: but i have been looking into the up keep of the saltwater aquariums and it is a lot more difficult. I have been searching online looking for saltwater aquariums for sale (http://www.canada.for-sale.com/aquarium) and found quite a few but i don't know where to start when it comes to sizes well just about everything. I have done some research my side and been to the local aquatic center found out about the different saltwater tests and prices of fish ect but that's about it. i will throw a few questions down see what you come up with guys.

1. Does the size of the tank matter? keeping the PH levels under control?
2. How long should i let the tank pump the water through the pump before adding fish?
3. Maybe a few good fish/coral to start with
4. And the maintenance how many hours a day/week do you spend on cleaning out, changing water etc ???

Any information would be greatly appreciated

http://www.madhattersreef.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/21202931_bavv.png.jpeg

Thanks guys

I am getting excited now!!! starting to understand the saltwater world a lot more. I am going for a big 60 gallon tank with and under cupboard to hold the filtration system. I am going to get what i need run it through for a month and see where i am with the water, before i get fish in

Speak again soon guys thanks

Moogled
09-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Good luck! I hope it turns out fantastic!!

I've always wanted a system with a sump/refugium but having that much water around is a bit unsettling to me lol.

Animal-Chin
09-27-2016, 10:25 PM
If you don't have a tank yet, start with a 90. A 90 is an awesome size and if you enjoy reefing you'll outgrow a 60 pretty fast...

Sidius
09-28-2016, 09:45 PM
I have found the below forum thread extremely helpful in explaining what's going on in a saltwater/reef system. It's broken down in ways that very easy to follow, however it's quite long and touches on many different aspects of your system. I personally recommend starting from the beginning, with the basics of how the nitrogen cycle works in a saltwater/reef system.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f362/reefkeeping-made-easy-what-was-not-explained-160389.html