PDA

View Full Version : Any Astronomers?

Marcus K
11-13-2004, 04:02 AM
I would like to get into star gazing but not sure if I should buy or build a scope. My dad has a 8" lens that he used years ago that has been refinished. I would have to make a tube and mount plus buy an eye piece. How good are the telescopes in the thousand dollar range? I have had a chance to look through some 10-15 thousand dollar telescopes this summer and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what the more enty level ones are like.

Marcus

Tarolisol
11-13-2004, 04:32 AM
I think the size of the telescope would reflect what you wanna do. I have a 4 in one that cost several hundred and its really only good for lookin at teh moon. If you want to look at nebulea and stuff you need a really really big lens. I think im goin to go with at least 10" next timem and a computer controlled tripod. Ive been lookin into the DIY telescopes and it seems interesting, have come across a real good website for it yet.

DiscusZ
11-15-2004, 12:18 AM
I have a Bushnell North Star (got it with AirMiles :) ) I have not ha da chance to use ut a whole lot yet. its got the computer alignment on i t very cool my 1st Telescope.

I think its a 4" tube but I do not recall.

Jim

Marcus K
11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
I think I may try and get a 10" mirror and build a tube and mount. Then if I really enjoy it I can put the money into a new unit with a computer tracker.

Delphinus
11-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I'm going to guess the computer tracker is worth the investment.

I just can't get used to adjustments on equitorial mount. And the slightest bump knocks you out of position, so you step back down the the spotting scope, lowest magnification, step back up and ... ooops the earth is still turning, so a slight adjustment .. and oh another slight ajustment and ooops overshot the mark, adjust it back ... oops overshot backwards now ... oopps back to the spotting scope and ... what the heck was I looking at anyhow?

On another note, I noticed during the eclipse that the humidity from the tanks has seeped inside the scope and my lenses are fogged on the inside. I have no idea what I'm going to be able to do about this. Scratch another tally on the victims of humidity (alongside all my rusty tools) :neutral:

DiscusZ
11-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Move the telescope to a warmer place with less humidity. Let it dry out.. You will also get humidity going from inside to outside when its cold as well. I really want to l;earn how to operate that new telescrope, the computerized movment is very very cool

Jim

Tarolisol
11-15-2004, 06:22 PM
I hear ya tony, i hate all those stupid adjustment cranks. left right up down sides ways around in circles, and i can never remeber what one does what.
The computerized tripods are awsome lots even come with GPS and you almost have to do nothing. You can connect them to your computer or laptop o guess and tell it what you want it to look at and it will do everything.

Marcus K
11-16-2004, 03:36 PM
I found a good 8" Meade used with some nice extras. No computer but they seem hard to find used. I will try this first and can upgrade in the future if I really enjoy it or need a larger one. The stores out east have alot of used telescopes at half the price of new. Just have to find the one you like.

DiscusZ
11-17-2004, 03:03 AM
When I was in Vegas last year I stopped in the Discovery Channel store (man what an awesome store I spent a while in there) They had some awesome Meade telescopes, I can not remember the size but the telescope was about $600 us or something silly like that.. It was awesome telescope.

Jim

Tarolisol
11-17-2004, 04:03 AM
The calgary science center has lots of telescopes as well.

Delphinus
11-17-2004, 04:56 AM
Yeah that's a bad bad bad store. :lol:

Tarolisol
11-17-2004, 06:24 AM
Why is it a bad store? I get a wicked discount since my dad works at the science centre so i like it.

Delphinus
11-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Figure of speech, dude! As in, it's "evil" because you want to spend all your money there. :razz: :mrgreen:

Tarolisol
11-17-2004, 04:29 PM
HAHA they need to have a sarcasm button or somthing. :smile: It has a lot of wierd and interesting things. And you can order almost any telescop you want from them.