PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed! Clown/Anemone

Fish
11-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Hello fellow reefers,
I just recieved an old friend that I had given away when I sold my 90. It is a maroon clown ~3 inches long. It naturally took to the RBTA that I had in my tank however I am concerned as to whether the size of this fish will prove to be too much for the anemone.
Any opinions, experience, gut feelings, or heresay would be much appreciated! :razz:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1185maroon_rbta-med.jpg

Thank you in advance,

- Chad

Fish
11-12-2004, 10:29 PM

danny zubot
11-12-2004, 10:57 PM
I used to have an LTA that size with a Clarki that size and they were fine together. If the anmone doesn't like the clown it will shrink and the clown will loose interest.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Maroons do tend to be rough on their hosts. Just watch it carefully I guess. Like Danny wrote, the anemone will react badly and let you know if you should remove the maroon. I love maroons but my big $20 female used to pick up & throw corals. It killed a $50 fox, & 3 frogspawns for a total loss of $200 before I got rid of her. Too late, I know.

Fish
11-13-2004, 12:02 AM
I really appreciate your replies. The clown is pretty agressive with his brushing but the anemone doesn't seem to be closing up on it. I guess I will just watch it to make sure that it doesn't start to decline, hopefully I will have enough time to nurse it back to health if it does. ??

Maroons have always been my favorite clowns because of how pretty they are. It was given back to me because it was causing troubles in its last home but my only other fish is a Scott's Damsel... I think they will be good for each other :razz: .

- Chad

pocilipora
11-13-2004, 04:19 AM
Has it always been the only maroon in the tank? If so, its probably a female. Id say by the pic that the anemone should be fine. Try feeding it to make it grow bigger.
When my clowns lay eggs, or are getting ready to lay, they tend to beat on the anemone. They even rip off tenticles and eat them :eek: Anemone is just fine.

Delphinus
11-13-2004, 05:02 AM
The pairing is a natural one ... I would just watch things for starters and only worry about it the anemone starts to look a little rough for wear. Feed the anemone lots and it will grow and then it might not be so bad.

Fish
11-13-2004, 05:31 AM
You guys have really helped put my mind at ease. I mean, at least my anemone isn't having its tentacles ripped off :razz: must be tougher than I gave 'em credit for.
I am feeding it silversides and also megamarine angel frozen so hopefully it will get bigger. It is getting lots of light as well. I have to chase the clown and a porcelin anemone crab away from it everytime I feed and I leave a net over the anemone so they don't come back until it's finished (little buggers)

- Chad

Bob I
11-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Actually that looks a lot like a LTA, not an Rose BTA, and after looking at that picture I am not as afraid of putting my two small Ocellaris Clowns with my new RBTA. I think I will wait until Tony has a look. :eek:

Fish
11-13-2004, 04:01 PM
The bubble tips only swell after the halide has been on for a while, and when the the clown isn't thrashing around - which isn't too often anymore.

- Chad

sumpfinfishe
11-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Chad,
As others mentioned, I'm sure the RBTA should be fine.
I've seen bigger in smaller, just keep them both fed and mother natural should take care of the rest.

Fish
11-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Rich,
Thanks for the encouragement.
Actually, after staring at you avatar for a while, I feel compelled to believe anything you tell me :smile: .

- Chad