PDA

View Full Version : Sump in a new tank

molybdenumman
11-12-2004, 04:32 PM
I am looking to upgrade my 50g tank for a 90g with a 20g sump. My question is do I really need the sump. Do the cons outweigh the pros? Seems like more cleaning and more to go wrong with the system. Would I be better off with just a 90g tank alone?

Any advice would be appreciated.

DanTheMan

Chin_Lee
11-12-2004, 05:24 PM
I am looking to upgrade my 50g tank for a 90g with a 20g sump. My question is do I really need the sump. Do the cons outweigh the pros? Seems like more cleaning and more to go wrong with the system. Would I be better off with just a 90g tank alone?

Any advice would be appreciated.

DanTheMan

Dan
try to use your 50g as the sump for you 90g if you can. that would double your water volume!
As far as needin a sump, sump is not a NEED, but it is very very handy to have. I haven't found more cleaning to be an issue and the only thing that can go wrong is IF you use a hang-on overflow of some sort. I would highly recommend drilling your tank, using one pump for return from sump to tank, and let gravity handle the rest. Your tank's water height will always stay the same and you will only need to adjust the water height in your sump to maintain the correct salt/water ratio.
I have always used a sump and its a great place to put algae, skimmer, heater, thermometers, skimmer, extra rocks, injured fish that needs some peace, skimmer, chiller, adding top-off water or kalk, skimmer, fan to cool your system in summer, bags of phosguard, bags of carbon, calcium reactor pump and effluent lines, and did I mention a skimmer? :biggrin: Basically is a great way to add water volume and to hide all that stuff i've listed.
The only CONs i can think of is:
1) buying more salt for your extra water volume (but is actually better because of more water volume),
2) cleaning off detritus from the bottom of the sump (but is actually better in your sump where it can be cleaned off than in your main tank) and
3) the cost of all the extra equipment that you realize you can now add because its so much easier to add to a sump instead of your main tank.

PM me if you want to drop by my place to look at what I have done with a sump setup.

good luck
cwlee

Invigor
11-12-2004, 07:41 PM
from my short lived experience, i started with no sump, got a sump, loved it. now due to a relocation and lack of space for a sump, I really miss having one.

The think I like most about it is the level in the display tank stays the same, and just fluctuates in the sump. A sump also makes it easier to add equiptment like skimmers and calc reactors.

If you're thinking about having a sump, dooooo itttttt! Just don't cheap out on the overflow, or drill if you can :)