PDA

View Full Version : what's your favorite fish? why?

Friendly
09-14-2016, 04:10 PM
I'm curious to know! :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Too many to limit to just one "Favourite" fish.

I love Marine Bettas, especially the breeding pair I have cause they're just so regal looking and actually come out all the time, instead of hiding like most Bettas.

I love the Sohal tang (love tangs in general) cause of their beauty and unique colouration/pattern. Both of mine are Boss 1 & Boss 2 of the tank but are non-aggressive for Sohals.

Of the wrasses, my favourites are the different varieties of Leopard wrasses, which are always colourful little fish darting around the rockwork and eat with delicate little mouths.

We also have a weakness for puffers, especially porcupine puffers. Its the only "ick-magnet" I now allow in my tanks. So full of personality and its amazing to see one puff up on occasion.

Friendly
09-14-2016, 05:36 PM
hey SHF, are there any SW dwarf/nano puffers? I know about the lil FW guy and thinking of setting up a 10 gallon so I can have 3 in a species only tank. :)

kien
09-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Sushi.

.. because its delicious :bolt:

WarDog
09-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Sushi.

.. because its delicious :bolt:

Fish are friends. ... not food.

Copperbands and Achilles Tangs do it for me!

Friendly
09-14-2016, 09:47 PM

yes. friendly friendly food. :D

fortunately I don't care for sushi. :P

Reef-Geek
09-14-2016, 09:47 PM

I am sure he meant cucumber rolls.:lol:

My fav are blennies, they are always looking so innocent.

Dearth
09-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Fanged tooth blenny cause it would sleep wrapped up in my finger leather

Striped cleaner shrimp because it loves to comb my arm and clean as it goes

jhj0112
09-14-2016, 11:07 PM
Dwarf angels!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

slider9969
09-14-2016, 11:26 PM
I love my naso tang for looks and my yellow tang for his persanality

SpongeAl
11-21-2016, 04:17 AM
Of the ones I've owned or encountered, i would say the Flame Hawkfish, awesome beyond words. The Bart Simpson of the aquarium world.

A close second would be the Valentini Puffer that I recently added, despite the fact that it nips at my coral then looks up with this NGAF look on its face.

I'm starting to dislike my clowns at times. lol!

I had a Royal Dottyback that was pretty cool, not much of a personality compared to the Flame Hawkfish though. I had to take him back because he was harassing the clowns to the point that I lost the male when it jumped out of the tank.
Now I kinda wish I went the other way and kept the Dottyback and returned the clowns, but I had the clowns for a while by that point and they were not the aggressors in that instance.

Myka
11-21-2016, 01:42 PM
My favorite fish in my own tank is a Pelicier's Perchlet. He has a personality a lot like a Flame Hawkfish, but less shy and bigger. He's always photobombing.

My most desired fish right now is a Candy Basslet, but I keep getting distracted with more rare fish and spend my budget there instead... :o

If I could only have one fish it would be a Randal's Goby with a Pistol Shrimp because one fish would likely be a nano and these are the most awesome nano fish imo. If I could only have one type of fish it would be Anthias because a whole whack of Anthias are just beautifully amazing.

corpusse
11-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Flame Wrasses - for both the bold and subtle beauty. I love supermales with the thin blue line that really adds to the "flame" appearance. A flame wrasse was my first real expensive fish, and 8 or so years ago when I got my first they were a lot less common then these days.

While I love all the fairy wrasses I have stopped collecting them over the years as they are fragile and expensive but hope to eventually start getting some more.

More recently I have started to really like Genicanthus angels. The differences between males and females and the fact even experienced reefers sometimes think the male and females are different species. For years I never really gave these guys much thoughts but they are a great tang alternative as show fish.

Tankboy
11-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Molly Miller. Of all the fish I have kept, this one was the ugliest but had the best personality. "Snail Tipping" was his favorite passtime! If you haven't had the pleasure of having one of these, you are missing out. Awesome fish!

Piscez
11-21-2016, 05:14 PM
First would be my mated pair of clowns as they host my RBTA's center front always busy and caring for their eggs. Next would be my powder blue tang came in after all my gorgeous big healthy naso , yellow and purple etc tangs small and a little beat up but he's a survivor and loves to follow all the big guys around and doing really well now lots of personality. I also second the flame hawkfish unfortunately lost mine a few weeks ago.

Ryan7
11-22-2016, 04:14 AM
acanthurus japonicus

Subtle beauty! Active and inquisitive

e46er
11-23-2016, 01:56 AM
flame hawkfish by far. had him for a few years then one day he disappeared and never to be found again :cry:

Fishman
11-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Queen Angel. Bold, beautiful ... and not a coral nipper (yet).

Reef.ductionist
11-24-2016, 01:37 AM
Copperband Butterfly/

Graceful, inquisitive,

Yellow Tang, active alert will feed from hand with some training

IronChefItaly
04-08-2017, 05:16 AM
My favorite fish would be my male pintail wrasse - Heimdall. Remarkable coloration, pleasing swimming patterns and a laughable personality. He's very curious for a fish and is completely tame.

burgerchow1
04-08-2017, 06:00 PM
I guess a flame angel would be a staple for me. In the last couple decades, starting up new tanks after shutting some down, I would always get another flame angel. Just not right without a flame angel in a saltwater reef tank.

xandraescape
04-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Good choice you have there, I only have a clownfish at home. I really like seeing them swim on my little aquarium, it seems like they are dancing in rhythm.

fishing4aliving
10-22-2017, 04:17 AM
Falco hawkfish is very entertaining. The eyes are awsome. My Royal Gramma is a beautiful fish as well. It is out and visible most of the time, takes some interesting orientations at times.

Tigweldpro
10-22-2017, 05:34 AM
I would have to say Lawnmower blenny(sailfin). this guy is always up to somthing.

His newest trick is going and sitting on the powerhead and taking a huge dump! wow what a jackass. but I love him!

tang daddy
10-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Barnacle blenny.

Blue face angel

Achilles Tang

Mandarin dragon

Jann’s pipefish

Exquisite fairy wrasse

Red scooter blenny

Juggalo clown

Harlequin filefish

Not in any order just think these are my favs if I could keep 1 of each species

soapy
10-30-2017, 12:29 AM
Powder Brown Tang. I had one that was super gentle, he would eat from your fingers and you could pet him. Not that I want to pet a fish particularly.

Northern Reefer
11-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Has to be my powder blue tang. He runs the show and keeps everyone in line without aggression. A true leader.http://https://ibb.co/m777sb

Dash
11-13-2017, 09:43 PM
All my fish have pretty cool personalities, but hands down my favourites are the green spotted puffers. Because they KNOW who you are and are puppy dogs. Very expressive eyes

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4522/38381812991_8d8bb4f023_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21tEPNp)

chizerbunoi
11-13-2017, 10:34 PM
I love clownfish pairs. They are so cute together in their anemones. That's why I got a pair from each of the six Amphiprioninae complexes. If the wife would let me, I would own all 30 of them, plus the designer ones on top. That's my dream fish room.