PDA

View Full Version : Free or trade: black brittle starfish

Lofus
11-12-2004, 02:55 AM
He is slightly damaged from being removed from the display tank but mending nicely in QT. About 20 cm tip to tip.

BMW Rider
11-12-2004, 03:56 AM
I could use a good sand sifter to keep my sandbed a bit cleaner. What's your reason for parting with it? I have a Kenya Tree frag that I could offer in trade.

Quinn
11-12-2004, 04:06 AM
I don't think you can consider them sandsifters as such. They do eat detritus (and anything else they can get their arms on), so I guess in that sense they might be useful in the right aquarium.

Lofus
11-12-2004, 04:12 AM
Quinn's right, they don't do much sand sifting but they eat detritus like crazy. This guy has gotten a little too big for my tank (72 gal) and I suspect he has nabbed a chromis (or two)

BMW Rider
11-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Quinn's right, they don't do much sand sifting but they eat detritus like crazy. This guy has gotten a little too big for my tank (72 gal) and I suspect he has nabbed a chromis (or two)

So you're saying that it might eat any fish it can catch. I don't want to depopulate my tank, I'm still trying to get it stocked up. A chromis or two isn't a big deal, but I'd hate to lose something like my royal gramma. Can anyone else provide any experiences here with having a brittle star in a reef. How big would this guy grow to, and is my 130 big enough to accomodate it? I am still interested, just a little hesitant about adding the wrong critters to my system, so I want to be sure its the right choice.

pocilipora
11-13-2004, 01:04 AM
I dont think chromis last long to begin with. Ive got three stars in my tank. One black and grey spiney one and two brown ones. All are over "12 across and Ive had them for years(90 gal tank) and never lost a fish because of them. Good cleaners IMO

BMW Rider
11-13-2004, 04:05 PM
sent you a PM.