PDA

View Full Version : Moisture on windows

mecka
11-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Well i have been getting alot of moisture on my windows as of late,next week i will be putting in a venmar heat recovery ventilator.My buddy works at a heating company so getting a sweet deal,plus he knows how to
install as well.
http://www.venmar-ventilation.com/pdf/en/Prod.SheetVenmarAVSSOLO1.5.pdf

Doug
11-12-2004, 02:01 PM
That will make the world of difference, esp. in our heating season. Its the only way to go, IMO.
:biggrin:

Beverly
11-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Sounds expensive. If you have forced air heating in a dry winter climate, as we do in Edmonton, you can disable or adjust the humidifier on your furnace to reduce moisture in the air. Much cheaper than getting a new gadget :biggrin:

mecka
11-13-2004, 05:05 AM
Yes we do have forced air heating,and i do beleive our winter 's match each other.Who knows maybe in the dead of winter the moisture may not be a issue,but right now it is.We also dont have a humidifier on our furnace as most experts are against it.They say they are known for growing bacteria and fungus
.http://www.aerias.org/DesktopModules/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleId=99&spaceid=1&subid=8

Skimmerking
11-13-2004, 01:43 PM
how about a another sweet deal for another second HRV for another reefer.

mike :mrgreen:

Quinster
11-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Going through the same problems here...got a dehumidifier running allmost 24 hours a day as well as my furnace fan, wasn't as bad until I replaced all my windows in the house last year. Looking to upgrade my furnace to a high eff. I think that will make a load of difference, if not I will be adding another toy (HRV) to the system...then maybe another tank...lol

BMW Rider
11-13-2004, 04:00 PM
I tried a dehumidifier, but found that it really didn't help much. I have been keeping a bathroom fan running full time, and that seems to be more effective. The heat recovery ventilator will do pretty much the same thing, except it uses the exhaust air to warm the fresh air reducing the energy loss with very little more power used than the bathroom fan. I am considering installing one also, but I have no idea where I will put it. My furnace room is packed full, and I still need to put in the vacuflo. I have had some trouble with the water heater lately, and I may replace it with a tankless one which would clear some space. I will also need to figure out where to run the vents to, not an easy task in a fully finished two storey home.

littlesilvermax
11-14-2004, 06:05 PM
I have a HVR and they are great! When you have a reef tank always get one way bigger then what they recommend. Mine is twice as big as recommended (190cfm vs 90 cfm) and I wish it was bigger yet.

A low to mid efficient furnace will actually make the air in your house dryer due to the chimney forcing moisture out. A high efficient furnace will generally result in a house with a higher moisture content. New energy efficient windows also keep the moisture in.

For best results you want to use a min of 7 inch diameter tin ducting to and from the unit. Besides having the regular inlets in the bathroom and the kitchen hook a large one over the tank if you can. Of course this is easier to do when the house is being built rather then after the fact.

mecka
11-29-2004, 01:41 AM
well got the hrv in last week ,what a difference.the first morning i woke up to find a little moisture on the window but the second morning there was nothing.Has been moisture free ever since .I sure recommend any one with a big tank to have one of these units.asmodeus give me a call 981-1723 and i can get some pricing to you.

Doug
11-29-2004, 03:41 PM
:mrgreen: