PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to All the Veterans (Reefers & Non-Reefers)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-11-2004, 06:18 PM
On this Day of Remembrance, I would just like to say thank you to those who have served our country and won us the freedom to live as we please (including blowing all our $$$ on this hobby/addiction) :biggrin: But seriously, we appreciate the sacrifice made by past & present veterans & their families. Thank you!

Buccaneer
11-11-2004, 06:24 PM
For those that have not heard/seen it yet there is a song by Terry Kelly " A pittance of Time " ... absolutely awesome :cool:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/chief_land_staff/remembrance/

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Checked it out. Thanks Buc. You're right, it is awesome!!! May we never forget.

hockey nut
11-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Nice post.

I too enjoy my freedom.

My humble thanks and deepest grattitude.

bluetang
11-11-2004, 10:40 PM
My grandfather Whom past away last year was in the WW2 and his brother is burried on Juno beach. Take just a moment, picture yourselfs over there and realize what bravery really was..
Never Forget..

Skimmerking
11-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Being in the
Cdn Forces is a really pleasure, i was at a small toen for a rememberance day parade. then after that we went to the legion. It was nice to talk to Veterens ,and i'm also a veT from 94 during the yugosaliva war where I attended.

I ts nice when you can talk to these Vets and listen to the stories that they have to say.

mike

EmilyB
11-12-2004, 01:34 AM
I've been trying to access "the north wall" all day, but it doesn't even appear to be working any more.

My brothers best friend (Canadian) volunteered for Vietnam and came home in a box a month later. He was like another brother to me, and I
always think of him on this day.

Cap'n
11-12-2004, 03:11 AM
I was talking to a guy at work today about his father's experiences in the second World War. He was an Austrian forced to fight with the Nazis against the Russians. Days before his unit left for Stalingrad he was injured and avoided a slaughter.

It was interesting hearing stories about veterans from the other side. Made me think about the war in a more global perspective than I would most Remembrance Days.

Tarolisol
11-12-2004, 03:28 AM
I would just like to ad my little piece. And say a few words. Young men and women humbled histories worst tirants. We carve our thanks in stone we stamp it into metal we carfuly tend to vast fields where men and women who gave their lives for our freedom now lay. More then ever in our history we cannot fail to pass these stories of courge to next generations capture their imagination while paying tribute to all those willing to die for the preservation of our way of life. I have had great grandparents fight in the war who were baryed alive and grandparents run from machine guns as airplanes bomb there houses. I will tell there stories to my children as i hope they will tell them to theres. We must never forget the sacrifices these people have made and are still making for us. And i will never forget.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-12-2004, 05:22 AM
Amen brother.

Those who fail to remember their history are destined to repeat it. I think it should almost be a law that people running for high office (ahum... George W) must first serve honourably in the military so they (HE) will REMEMBER!!!! ...but that's another thread.

Every year there are fewer and fewer vets left who served in WWI & WWII & I hope that their stories are chronicled and preserved for future generations. We need to remember our heroes.

My family lived through the Japanese invasion of Malaysia during WWII & I never knew how my grandfather was able to save himself & his family during that horrible time. He was a highschool principle & the Japanese killed all those in positions of authority, on the basis that these individuals were the most likely to lead a rebellion. We don't have a military tradition in our family, but I salute those who are willing to sacrifice for the rest of us.

And that's all I have to say about that. (a la Forrest Gump)
:lol:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-12-2004, 05:26 AM
Me bad. Missed a detail. I learned of my grandfather's bravery only during his eulogy. :cry:

Lesson learned. Ask them about their stories before they're gone & it's too late.