PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice with blue clove

Tyfighter
08-31-2016, 05:51 AM
So I am not sure where they originally came from but I have cloves spreading all over my tank. The have started choking outsome zoas already. I have done a lot of research in to removing them with fluke tabs or Fenbendazole and was wondering if anyone out there has any first hand experience removing them with either.
Secondly if you have any tabs please pm me.
Thanks
Tyler

input80
08-31-2016, 08:44 AM
Would also like to know the cure :)

Tyfighter
09-01-2016, 05:20 AM
Anyone?

iamfrontosa
09-01-2016, 07:17 AM
i could never get these guys to grow in my old system. I was running zeovit. So my guess is low nutrient with strong light would get rid of them.

Slyguy00
09-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Good luck :lol:

Tyfighter
09-02-2016, 06:21 AM
i could never get these guys to grow in my old system. I was running zeovit. So my guess is low nutrient with strong light would get rid of them.

Funny you say that, they really started spreading once I got my nutrients down and added more lighting.... Lol

tang daddy
09-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Take out rocks and scrub them with peroxide.... That seems to kill stuff but I guess you need to do that in a seperate tank or frag what Zoas you can and start with new rock, I always grew them on a seperate rock on its own. GL bro!

iamfrontosa
09-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Funny you say that, they really started spreading once I got my nutrients down and added more lighting.... Lol

lol.. i tried.

Skimmerking
09-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Try doing patches of it with Kalkwasser a thick paste

soapy
09-03-2016, 02:01 AM
When I went to bio-pellets the blue cloves started to die back, before they were everywhere, now you would be lucky to spot any. Unfortunately your zoas probably won't like bio-pellets either. I didn't mind the blue cloves to be honest.

Tyfighter
09-03-2016, 06:39 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far guys :)

Aquattro
09-04-2016, 03:51 AM
the only real cure is fluke Tabs, if you can find them. They are a discontinued product and work great for killing these things.

input80
09-04-2016, 06:01 AM
There has to be a safe replacement, no?

Tyfighter
12-18-2016, 08:16 PM
So I finally took the plunge and nuked my tank with fenbendazole. The only way to get it here in BC is through a Vet with a prescription but if anyone needs some send me a PM and I can probably hook you up.

I lost a couple sps but I am pretty happy overall with how it worked here is a quick breakdown.
First off I removed all the inverts (snails, crabs, shrimp)I could find and placed them in my sump because I have read that the treatment can be hard on them.
Shut off my circ pump and return line.
Skimmer off.
Placed a temporary heater in the display tank.
I dosed 2mg fenbendazole per gallon for 72 hours.
Minimal feeding of the fish over the course of the treatment.
The cloves slowly started closing up almost immediately, but only after the 2nd day did they start to disappear.
After 72 hours I did a 20% water change on the display, started the sump and skimmer back up.
Started running some activated carbon to help filter out toxins from the coves.
I felt bad about exposing my inverts at this point but I hoped that by doing the large water change and running carbon it would minimize the impact. If I had another tank setup this would have been better but living in an apartment has some limitations.
2 days after the 72 hours the cloves really started falling off the rocks, I tried to vacuum out as much as I could, the skimmer has been running wet and pulling out a lot of muck. I have done a couple smaller daily water changes as I vacuumed out the floating cloves.

This is where I am now, some notes on my corals.
I lost a frag of wolverine and ssc they RTNd after the second day, all the other sps are either completely fine or have lost a little color but so far the look ok. LPS seem to be unaffected other than not fully expanding. My zoas and palys are not fully opening yet but nothing has died/melted. The mushrooms I was hoping it would kill are still alive so it would be ok for them.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask on here or PM me!