PDA

View Full Version : any hqi regrets

hawk
11-11-2004, 06:19 AM
I'm thinking about changing my 175mh/pc combo to 250hqi mini pendants. I would like to know from users of hqi mh if their happy with them, or do you wish you went with 400hqi instead of 250's. My current tank is 24"high, but my next tank will be 30" high and mainly sps. Any thoughts?

muck
11-11-2004, 06:44 AM
If your planning on using the new lighting on your next tank (30 inch high) as well I would go 400W.

mr_alberta
11-11-2004, 02:45 PM
If you are interested in the 400W DE, I would wait a bit until better reflectors are developed. Also, how tall of a tank were you thinking of putting this on? If it isn't really tall or if you aren't going mainly SPS, I think 250W would work fine.

Also, when getting the 250W pendants, make sure you get one with a better reflector such as the PFO Mini or the Sunlight Supply Reef Optix line.

qwiksilver
11-11-2004, 03:48 PM
wasn't aware they made DE 400's. New to me. Where have you seen them?

mr_alberta
11-11-2004, 04:10 PM
They're just hitting the markets now, but so far their performance has been less than stellar (or so I've read). They say they only perform as well as a 400W SE.

CoralVue makes a 400W DE setup: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Coralvuehalide

and so does Ice Cap, but I don't think they are marketing them yet.

You might also consider the new Ice Cap Spot Pendants which I have heard some good things about:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=icespotpend

Willito
11-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Absolutely no regrets on my dual 250 DE. I have a 30" deep tank and I keep SPS on the top 2/3 of the tank and clams on the sand bed. I am running 20K AB bulbs and getting awesome growth out of all the corals. Having said that, I would go with 400W on my next setup. My current system design would not be able to manage a dual 400w heat factor, unless I install a chiller. Again I would probably wait until better bulbs come out in the 400w as the ones available now are not that reputable or not much is know about them.

hawk
11-11-2004, 04:48 PM
So far this is what I have come up for HQI:
As far as ballast stay away from electronic because of loss of par and probable x10 interface problems and generally not as reliable as standard ballast, as well as higher initial cost.
HQI bulb replacement seems to be 10-15% higher than mogul type bulbs, but this should be off-set by a longer lasting par rating.
The mini pendants should not raise tank temp as high.
Bulb choice is very limited in 400w hqi
The biggest factor for me is that a 250 hqi is suppose to be close to 400w se in par, but I have not been able to find a definitive answer if this is true or not.

mr_alberta
11-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Take a look at Sanjay Joshi's articles http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/s/b/sbj4/aquarium/aquarium.html

He's the guy that does all the light testing for Advanced Aquarist Magazine.

Willito
11-11-2004, 06:55 PM
From what I gather, magnetic ballasts over-drives the bulbs and will in turn gives it higher par and more luminen. Electronic ballasts under-drives or drives bulbs at design wattage. With the Electronic ballast you will get longer life on your bulbs but they won't run as bright. Also a lower electricity bill and less heat with lower power comsumption. IMO if you go with 20K I would go with magnetic ballast to drive the bulbs a little brighter. 10K can be run on Electronics.

reefhawk
11-13-2004, 01:03 AM
went to a triple 250 w hqi with four p/c flourescents in a spacelight about a month and a half ago. have noticed corals responding very positively to the new lights. Had 400 w moguls before and wouldn't go back. With differrent bulb configurations it is easy to get the look you like and get growth or maintence or a variety of conditions for varied species in one tank.

kooltank
11-13-2004, 06:35 AM
I'm thinking about changing my 175mh/pc combo to 250hqi mini pendants. I would like to know from users of hqi mh if their happy with them, or do you wish you went with 400hqi instead of 250's. My current tank is 24"high, but my next tank will be 30" high and mainly sps. Any thoughts?

you won't be dissapointed if you go with the AquaConnect 14K DE bulbs or Megachrome 14.5K DE bulbs setup in 250W PFO mini pendant powered by PFO HQI ballast.

Here is a reference link on RC http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468644