PDA

View Full Version : better ways for a tank.

Skimmerking
11-11-2004, 01:40 AM
is there any other way to take apart a tank other then, charp blades and a heat gun is there any stuff to buy. Man this tank is a pain in the butt.

mike
1 hour and took off 1 overflow.

good news i have found a place to cut the glass 1 dollar per cut. so any takers on what size i can go it can be huge it needs to be down sized alot. would like to have a 6 ft lenght if i can..

mike

mr_alberta
11-11-2004, 01:42 AM
Hi Mike,

Can you cut down a piece that is 24" x 24"? How would we get the glass from you?

Edmonton Eskimo
11-11-2004, 04:35 AM
You mean to remove silicone? If so check home depot they have silicone remover.

Doug
11-11-2004, 02:17 PM
:snipersm: or a good hammer. :lol:

To be serious. Like I said, lots of elbow grease.
How would one get a silicone remover in the seams? Would that not just be to remove a silicone film or would it dissolve silicone?

Buccaneer
11-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Electric guitar string ... attach the ends to a piece of wood and make a garrote < sp?> then slide the string in between the glass ... try to remove as much silicone from the corners first.

Good luck

Majestic_Aquariums
11-12-2004, 10:49 PM
not sure what to suggest: the only time I tried to cut down a 45 gal, it was so tightly sealed, there wasn't even enough room for a razor blade between the panes, after an hour of working at one end of the tank, I accidently broke another side!
Went to the landfill after that!
Hopefully the guitar string idea works, I haven't ever seen anything on the market that disolves silicone. Lots of patience?

Skimmerking
11-13-2004, 02:33 AM
]well i have off both overflows now. I started on the right side and have pretty much all the silicone off the inside now.

HAve the blade going thur one side pretty easy, time for a break when ya coming in to town Doug.. :redface:

mike

Invigor
11-13-2004, 02:58 AM
silicone dissolver stuff exists, I can't remember what it's called, but I got it at canadian tire, it's in a jar like pvc cement with a big swab on it..it basically melts the silicone into a greasy substance that wipes clean..only used it on removing bulkheads tho, not sure how it works on seams

whaase
11-14-2004, 03:27 AM
silicone dissolver stuff exists, I can't remember what it's called, but I got it at canadian tire, it's in a jar like pvc cement with a big swab on it..it basically melts the silicone into a greasy substance that wipes clean..only used it on removing bulkheads tho, not sure how it works on seams

Calk-be-gone is the stuff I've used. I think DAP makes it. HD has it.

Walter