PDA

View Full Version : Curing live rock with hair algae on it

gtreef
08-09-2016, 03:56 AM
I have recently shutdown my reef tank. But am planning on a nano reef in the near future. I have about 40lbs of live rock that has hair algae on it, I scrubbed what I could off and have it in buckets with a heater and circulation. What is the best way to kill off all the algae so I don't have it transferred to my new setup?

Myka
08-09-2016, 04:01 AM
I have recently shutdown my reef tank. But am planning on a nano reef in the near future. I have about 40lbs of live rock that has hair algae on it, I scrubbed what I could off and have it in buckets with a heater and circulation. What is the best way to kill off all the algae so I don't have it transferred to my new one?

It depends what you consider "the best". The best way to kill the algae is to give it a bleach bath (1 mL per gallon) for 24 hours and then dechlorinate and re-seed. I wouldn't recommend that though because you'll be left with pretty barren rock.

If it was my rock, I'd do this. Keep it in absolute darkness with just a powerhead and heater so the algae dies off and do weekly 100% waterchanges preferably using used tank water (from a clean source) or less preferably using freshly mixed saltwater. When the algae dies you will get nitrate and phosphate in the water column, and you need to continue waterchanges and darkness until those nutrients down almost to zero. If the nutrients drop down and you're not ready to start up the new tank you'll need to lightly ghost feed the rock bin to keep the microfauna alive or you'll end up with the same effect as bleaching the rock. :D Once the nutrients are down and you're ready to ghost feed you can add light (just use a single T5 actinic) and a clean up crew.

gtreef
08-09-2016, 11:01 PM
How about hydrogen peroxide treatment? Would that be at all worthwhile?

Myka
08-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Why? The darkness will kill it and no matter how you physically remove the algae the nutrients need to be removed too so I wouldn't bother with peroxide.

FishyFishy!
08-09-2016, 11:58 PM
Though the cooking idea is good, I just plain dont trust anything anymore. I've nuked all my rock with bleach/muriatic acid and love the outcome. Dosnt take that long to re-seed. I guess I like the fresh start (as it usually followed some sort of pest related disaster).

Myka
08-10-2016, 01:33 AM
Though the cooking idea is good, I just plain dont trust anything anymore. I've nuked all my rock with bleach/muriatic acid and love the outcome. Dosnt take that long to re-seed. I guess I like the fresh start (as it usually followed some sort of pest related disaster).

If that's the case, sell me the good live rock and go buy some dry crap. :p