PDA

View Full Version : Live sand and Rock

hockey nut
11-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Hello,

Whats the best way to keep live sand and rock alive while switching tanks. I won't have the new tank ready for a month :rolleyes: and the other tank is sold ?

All help is appreciated

Cheers

dirtyreefer
11-10-2004, 03:54 AM
Buckets, with heat and circulation. This should be fine, no livestock though!

Zerandise
11-10-2004, 04:08 AM
I have had 70 lbs of LR sitting in my kitchen for 3 months (yeah i know, my Wife loves me). it has a couple pumps and a heater and still has coraline and what not on it. No lights at that. Its all in a large rubbermaid tub.

hockey nut
11-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Yah... I know what you mean.

My wife loves me too!!!!! As long as it is out of her way , I'm good. LOL. I keep telling her I'm doing this for you .... but it never works. :biggrin:

Power heads I have as well as heaters. The sand should be ok too?

Thanks

danny zubot
11-10-2004, 03:00 PM
The problem I found with the sand is that it can spike very fast if kept in too small of a container. Its better to spread it out, much like it would be in your tank to avoid becoming annoxic. Imagine taking a 2 inch sand bed where the bacteria all live in harmony at their specific layers, then mixing them up into a bucket that could be 10 times deeper. Sounds like a bio-war waiting to happen. :eek:

Richer
11-10-2004, 04:03 PM
I kept my LR in a large rubber maid bin for a month with a couple of heaters, powerheads and a pc fixture over it.

-Richer

Chin_Lee
11-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Canadian tire sells a good selection of tubs. there is a 50 gallon tough plastic tub for about 20 bucks. i've used it for many applications and very sturdy. should work as a temp tank until your tank arrives. it even has wheels at the bottom although I wouldn't rely on them for go-carting style moving considering the weight that will be in there.
if you want, i do have a garbage can that i've never used for garbage and used it to store various fish supplies. pm me if you want to pick it up to store your rocks.

hockey nut
11-11-2004, 07:00 AM
Thanks for all the help.

I have a 20gal and 10 gal tank full of rock. A 30 gal rubbermaid full of rock and two coolers full of rock. So far so good. The room I'm keeping all this rock in looks like a grow op of live rock. :mrgreen: lights and cords and buckets everywhere.

Now I just need a place for the sand. I was thinking the bathtub , but I don't think I'll even ask the wife. :eek: I already know the answer.

I know what you mean Danny, I was worried about that as well. I have alot of good life in the sand and don't want to lose too much of it.

Thanks for your offer Chin_Lee I should be fine I hope. :0)

Thanks again all