PDA

View Full Version : pistol shrimp and goby

hockey nut
11-10-2004, 03:27 AM
I currently have a pistol shrimp and goby and enjoy them very much.

My question is. Are they a problem in reef tanks with clams and certain corals etc? The shrimp can cause a nice dust cloud on his busy days :smile: . And I am wondering if that would bother clams etc.

I'm upgrading to a larger tank soon and would like to have clams. I would either have to house the shrimp and goby in a 20gal for now or sell them as I'm tearing down my other tank.

Thanks for the help.

pocilipora
11-13-2004, 04:30 AM
I think you better sell them... :rolleyes: to me. :biggrin:

EmilyB
11-13-2004, 04:46 AM
I doubt it. My maroon can cause some serious sand disturbance when irritated and has buried a couple clams. They seem to recover just fine with some "poofing" with the baster.

I'd just try to locate the clams away from the digging as much as possible.
If it was constant, I'm sure it wouldn't be good. :mrgreen:

ruck'n'reefer
11-13-2004, 02:20 PM
none of my pistols have ever caused problems for my clams. my yellow tang causes the clams more grief. i'd keep them

sumpfinfishe
11-13-2004, 05:12 PM
I once had a pistol with one of my watchmen gobies. The two with all there digging never bothered my clam, however that pistol use to snip branches off my xenia once in awhile :rolleyes:

Like Deb and Rob mentioned, you shouldn't have any problems with the clam. I had more problems with the pistol snapping in the middle of the night-it use to freak me out as it kinda sounded like the tank was cracking :eek:, other than that I'm sure you will get lots of pleasure out of watching them work together!