PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on this?

Dearth
08-06-2016, 03:06 AM
Bayer Insecticide as a coral dip.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-insecticide-as-a-coral-dip.100496/?utm_source=newsletter_1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=August_05_2016

spit.fire
08-06-2016, 05:11 AM
http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-insecticide-as-a-coral-dip.100496/?utm_source=newsletter_1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=August_05_2016

works good, good luck getting it

WarDog
08-06-2016, 05:19 AM
Just pick some up next time you're in the States.

cblair
08-06-2016, 05:27 AM
I use it, works great. I live close to the border so have easy access to get it in the US. One container will last a very long time, its amazing to see all the nasty's that fall off a frag when using this and from all the research ive done on the bayer dip...which is alot, it appears many find it quit gentle and less stressfull for the coral. Ive dipped about 20 frags using bayer and havent lost a frag. Just dont use it on more sensitive corals like smooth skin acros. There is a retailer in canada ive seen advertise this as a coral dip... Not sure i can mention the name so if you would like it pm me.

Coasting
08-06-2016, 05:40 AM
Hmmm Im heading south on Tuesday, may have to grab a bottle if it works that well just for dipping new frags alone!

Myka
08-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Be careful with this stuff though - because of it's intended purpose it is made to be water resistant so it needs to be rinsed very, very well. Also, the Bayer sticks to things like coral skeletons and plugs, not so much the coral flesh. A common method is dip, rinse and swish repeatedly in a container of clean saltwater, then place in a second container of clean water and let soak for 30 minutes swishing occasionally. Randy Homes-Farley has confirmed that carbon will help remove the insecticides listed on the bottle, but who knows what the other 98% is that's listed as "other ingredients". :lol: Some guys with long term Bayer use have reported RTN episodes in SPS tanks and suggest it may be from using Bayer long-term or not rinsing well enough, but as usual in this hobby it's tough to say if it is the Bayer or something else going on.

I find the dip is actually gentler on Acros than CoralRx - even smooth skinned Acros. I've not used Bayer on anything except SPS.

My own procedure for SPS is this: Remove frag plugs and clip off any bare coral skeleton, premix dip at 10 mL per cup, add frags for 10 minutes gently squirting coral with turkey baster. Move frags to clean saltwater for 5-10 minutes, swish them around fairly roughly, squirt them with a clean turkey baster. Glue frags onto new plugs, and move frags to 5-gallon QT filled with fresh tank water. They hang out there on a rack with heater and powerhead overnight with carbon pellets in the bottom of the tank. In the morning I light them with an actinic T8 bulb all day, and if they look good they get moved into the display tank that evening when the tank lights are out. Also, the dip is milky so you can't see anything that comes off - I pour it through a paper coffee filter when I'm done and look at what is caught.

For a short period of time you could order this from Amazon.ca with free shipping, and it cost I think $25. There are a few options on Amazon.com and one has reasonable shipping to Canada - about USD$42 for product, tax, and shipping. It sounds a bit pricey, but if you use the same dosage I do (10 mL per cup of saltwater) this bottle will make 118 cups or a bit more than 31 gallons of dipping solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CAB2JY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2T7WSWA5C9AVQ

Coasting
08-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Looks easy enough to get and a reasonable price.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bayer-Advanced-1-Qt-Concentrate-Complete-Insect-Killer-for-Soil-and-Turf-700270/100658964
Im assuming thats the correct stuff.
Might be worth a go on my next coral order. Never had a bug issue in the past.

Myka
08-09-2016, 01:29 AM
Looks easy enough to get and a reasonable price.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bayer-Advanced-1-Qt-Concentrate-Complete-Insect-Killer-for-Soil-and-Turf-700270/100658964
Im assuming thats the correct stuff.
Might be worth a go on my next coral order. Never had a bug issue in the past.

That's USA Home Depot. Did you find it on the Canadian site?

Coasting
08-09-2016, 01:48 AM
That's USA Home Depot. Did you find it on the Canadian site?

Didn't look on a Canadian site. You guys all seemed to say US only. I'm going down to the US tomorrow so if I can find some there I will grab a bottle.

WarDog
08-09-2016, 01:57 AM
It's only available in the States. It is illegal to use in Canada.

Edit. Not illegal, it's a restricted product.

Coasting
08-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Well i grabbed 2 bottles so if anyone else is interested in some?

SoloSK71
01-02-2017, 03:19 AM
The equivalent product in Canada is Temprid SC, but I am pretty sure you require a pesticide applicators license to purchase this, and you have to do some serious dilution.

The Bayer 'home' product is a ration of 0.72% to 0.36%, Temprid SC is 21% to 10.5%

Charles

Delphinus
01-03-2017, 08:23 PM
The problem is that any insecticide labelled as "systemic" was banned in Canada for consumer retail somewhere around 2002 or 2003 (IIRC). Industrial users are still able to use it but as stated you need to have a commercial license to be able to buy it from Bayer (and even at that there is some question about the future because there are petitions afoot to have those banned, as the active ingredient, imidacloprid, has been implicated with the troubles facing bees).

Anyhow so yeah, I saw this and was very intrigued myself. I'm all for a method of pest control, but my concern here is the disposal of the used water in the end. If we're just pouring it down the drain, how much of the active ingredient is becoming exposed to the environment and having an effect that we might not want to be happening?

SoloSK71
01-03-2017, 09:29 PM
I am not questioning your concerns , but the same questions apply to other dips.

I am considering running a line off an ozone generator to treat my dips and medications after being done with them. Maybe a carbon soak as well. Better buried in a waterproof cell in the landfill than in the water?

Charles

sobe
01-03-2017, 10:56 PM
I've read about the Bayer as a dip on US reef forums. Just crazy I think, sure it kills the unwanted pest and seem "safe" to use compared to other dips.

But it's an insecticide chemical. That can affect your reef tank if not rinse thoroughly, most are you cant use when frag are still attached to discs. As the chemical soaks in. If I were to use it I'd do a dip and have a seperate quarantine tank for just corals until it leach out what ever is in the Bayer.

I compare this to the DDT spray videos after the WW2 where everyone including infants and childred crossing borders in Europe were sprayed by powdered DDT at the border check points, they were then given a stamp that they have been sprayed so they can cross the borders.

Hey there are other crazy things in this hobby, ie using deicers and bath salts, electrocution to kill unwanted anemones etc.. Just which one you are willing to risk using on your tank is the question is the question.

SoloSK71
01-04-2017, 12:25 AM
I feel you are exaggerating a touch.

All dips are insecticidal chemicals, that is what they are trying to treat, insects.

As well, none of the videos or posts I have seen on this method show (or recommend) keeping the frag plug. In fact they all go so far as to say to take it off.

And people know the potential dangers of these chemicals, that is why the videos and posts are littered with warnings, people wearing gloves, masks, eye protection, the whole works.

Charles