PDA

View Full Version : Aquaforest Reef Salt - arrived as a 10kg BRICK

ReefGrrl
08-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Has this happened to anyone else? After reading many positive reviews, decided to get some. I got the bucket yesterday from Amazon, 10kg (want to start phasing from H2Ocean, so hoping to start mixing the two).

But it has solidified into a big solid mass! When I opened the bag I was happy to see a measuring cup in there but when I reached in to get it, I couldn't pull it out. Then I got my big spoon to move some salt away - only to find that it is a solid mass. I managed to break off some chunks and I hoped it was just a crust, but nope: it's solid down at least two inches, which is as far as I could get. And the chunks aren't falling apart: they are solid too.

I know salt mix settles in shipping and should be stirred well before using, but to become solid like this - ?? I don't have confidence that it's properly mixed, nor do I know if I can even mix it.

Is this common? Should I just return it and exchange for another one?

Or is there something I can do with it to make it usable?

Thanks for any suggestions. (Shaking head at this...)
Cindy

intarsiabox
08-03-2016, 03:12 PM
It should come as any other salt, I would return it. My bucket arrived fine but I switched the salt to a Reef Crystals pail as it has a rubber seal where the AF pail has nothing. I have read a few reports on people not sealing the salt well after opening it and then getting hard.

ReefGrrl
08-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Thanks - I think I will just return it.

I know what you mean about the pail. The lid was very hard to get off, and now I'm unable to get it sealed again.

Once I've returned this one and it's refunded, I'll order a replacement and hope to get a different batch.

Potatohead
08-03-2016, 10:34 PM
Was a problem with some of the early ones apparently, contact AF (their facebook group is really good) or your retailer and they'll get you another one.

ReefGrrl
08-05-2016, 01:21 AM
Interesting....from the shipping label on the actual bucket, what I got came from Fort Myers FL, sent to Amazon. Maybe it was old stock. Thanks for the info.

duncangweller
08-05-2016, 02:33 AM
I bought a couple of boxes, I should go check them

Myka
08-05-2016, 02:56 AM
Interesting....from the shipping label on the actual bucket, what I got came from Fort Myers FL, sent to Amazon. Maybe it was old stock. Thanks for the info.

Florida is the Aquaforest North America distributor, so all Aquaforest coming to North America from Poland will be headed to Florida. That distributor ships the product to Amazon, and Amazon ships it to us. :)

It sounds to me like your salt got wet - probably from high humidity at some point.

Potatohead
08-05-2016, 03:03 AM
It was only a problem with buckets, some of the seals on the lids were defective and I agree it's likely from high humidity. I have a 22kg bucket now for about four months and it's totally fine and I have opened and closed it probably ten times or more.

Jordon
08-05-2016, 04:47 PM
The buckets lids definitely get easier to close with time, I know I had a hell of a time closing and opening the lid for the first 5 or so uses.