PDA

View Full Version : would metal or wood stand be quieter?

smokinreefer
08-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Hey everybody,

need to make some decisions for my upcoming display...
silence is key!

the display is going into an open concept area, so noise is a major factor.
would a wood stand be any quieter than a skinned metal stand, probably with magnetic panels?

should I just get a cabinet maker to build a stand? or go with a metal stand from tank manufacturer?

what would you do and why?

thanks!

Galizio
08-02-2016, 10:28 PM
I always had wood stands before, now I got an aluminum stand with magnetic panels 1"thick. Tank is dead quiet. this stand I have now is easier to move , very light and strong, all the panels are removable if you need to do some major maintenance...
One thing I really like are the t-slot but are an expensive option for a stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinreefer
08-02-2016, 11:18 PM
awesome that its light and strong.
though this will be for a large display that wont be moved, ever.

did you get it fabricated locally? or did you use t-slot?

Galizio
08-02-2016, 11:27 PM
My tank was used, came with the stand . But was locally build it and painted.
I was thinking about t-slot but was over my budget, I used t slot to build arms to old my light and was impressed , you can do so many different things with them and also is easy if you ever need to add anything on it, but again not cheap

whatcaneyedo
08-04-2016, 01:20 AM
As I am a Carpenter I built my stand and equipment room out of wood then insulated it with R12 Roxul Safe and Sound for noise dampening. For me this was the obvious solution as labour was 'free' and material was relatively inexpensive.

Galizio
08-04-2016, 04:35 AM
As I am a Carpenter I built my stand and equipment room out of wood then insulated it with R12 Roxul Safe and Sound for noise dampening. For me this was the obvious solution as labour was 'free' and material was relatively inexpensive.

+1 on roxul insulation... Been on the construction trade and always recommend this to the clients for sound, it is a great product

smokinreefer
08-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Ok, so off topic...

Would that be what I should use to insulate the basement ceiling if I want to put a media room down there?

Galizio
08-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Ok, so off topic...

Would that be what I should use to insulate the basement ceiling if I want to put a media room down there?

Definitely one of the best option

smokinreefer
08-04-2016, 08:17 PM
thanks for the tips for the media room!

whatcaneyedo, your display and carpentry are awesome!