PDA

View Full Version : A Question

Dearth
07-23-2016, 12:15 AM
First the back story

In My quest to improve my camera skills I have perused the internet, books, magazines and even joined several forums yet I have been stymied by the fact that there is tons and I do mean tons of information on taking pictures of aquariums but they all talk about flat glass and different ways to shoot it I have a wave tank which is both concave and convex yet there is almost nothing on taking pictures with curved glass and most articles or forums that talk about curved glass picture taking almost all say not to do it or give very limited information on taking pictures on curved glass.

I have taken several nice shots of my tank and what I have learned is mostly self taught especially on the curved glass part but my knowledge is limited and I want to expand it.

So here is the question for those who are photographers or those who have tips and tricks or know of any sites to visit that talk specifically about curved glass picture taking would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Sadly this is one of the pitfalls of using an odd shaped tank and going off the beaten path with photography

mrhasan
07-23-2016, 02:45 AM
First the back story

In My quest to improve my camera skills I have perused the internet, books, magazines and even joined several forums yet I have been stymied by the fact that there is tons and I do mean tons of information on taking pictures of aquariums but they all talk about flat glass and different ways to shoot it I have a wave tank which is both concave and convex yet there is almost nothing on taking pictures with curved glass and most articles or forums that talk about curved glass picture taking almost all say not to do it or give very limited information on taking pictures on curved glass.

I have taken several nice shots of my tank and what I have learned is mostly self taught especially on the curved glass part but my knowledge is limited and I want to expand it.

So here is the question for those who are photographers or those who have tips and tricks or know of any sites to visit that talk specifically about curved glass picture taking would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Sadly this is one of the pitfalls of using an odd shaped tank and going off the beaten path with photography

With my limited knowledge, I don't think there is any way of working around curved glass. Taking great picture of a fish tank is to make sure your lens is completely perpendicular to the glass surface to avoid any sort of refraction. And cameras do not like refraction. I learnt mostly from a presentation done by one of the former photographer at live aquarium and she knew what she was talking about; and her methods worked well for me. Long story short, if it not moving (corals), long exposure and no flash, but if it is moving (fish), short exposure and not direct flash.

Coasting
07-23-2016, 05:35 AM
Curved glass sucks! I think i asked this question a few years back. I learnt my lesson and got rid of the bowfront tank. Not sure youll find much info at all but I feel your pain.

tang daddy
07-28-2016, 05:30 PM
How about an underwater camera bro? Top down shots of corals looks way nicer... A few of the guys here using a good camera I'll try to find the name.

davej
07-28-2016, 05:41 PM
How about an underwater camera bro? Top down shots of corals looks way nicer... A few of the guys here using a good camera I'll try to find the name.

It's the Olympus TG-4

Takes shots like this

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/7c591ea9ed3324fec4d9debb49185d0d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/3a0ced75b6f7c03e312a5a3917fb0970.jpg

Ryanerickson
07-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Tg4 for the win like dave said, great underwater camera

Bblinks
07-28-2016, 08:42 PM
Don't give away our secrets.....too late...:wink:

Dearth
07-29-2016, 03:26 AM