PDA

View Full Version : Rhodactis starting to BOUNCE?

Ryan7
07-19-2016, 11:05 PM
I recently read in a few articles that it is believed the bounce mushroom is just a Rhodactis that has morphed and the main factor is lighting, whether it be because of a very shallow reef it came from or from the bright lighting in our aquariums.

I bit of background; skip to last paragraph if you want to get to the point :) pics attached.

When I set my current tank up 3 years ago, I had these hitchhiker Rhodactis come in on the live rock. I didn't want them due to the fact I was setting up a predominantly sps system. However, I left them figuring the bright lights would melt them or at least keep them at bay..

Sure enough, they turned white and receded into the rock. After several months I could see they survived however were doing everything in their power to get away from the light, mostly hiding into the crevices.

As the years go by my sps has given them some partial shade, particularly these ones at the very top back of my tank, in a location I cant even see them except from above while doing maintenance, but in any case, they have been able to come out of the crevices some more..

Today, doing some maintenance, I noticed what looks like the start of two enlarged pseudotentacles on the one, which were not there before. Soo, are they starting to bounce? If so, I am going to be leaning towards the bright light theories... in any event I am going to keep a close eye on them and the others. Not that I am into the hype on these, but what are your thoughts?

Limeyman
07-27-2016, 05:02 AM
I have a similar bunch of these Rhodactis mushrooms that have developed along the same lines. Came in on some live rock, hid for a couple of years, and only when I changed from T5 lighting to LED did I notice them starting to "bounce. I have a mixed reef 90g and run 4 Mars Aqua full spectrums at 65%

Animal-Chin
07-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Ya when I moved my orange rics up rockwork closer to the LEDs they did the same thing. Got weird bubbles on them like bounce coral.